Author Topic: Towing Notes and towing to Swallow Boats  (Read 3176 times)

Peter Taylor

Towing Notes and towing to Swallow Boats
« on: 06 Aug 2015, 08:28 »
I have just for the first time towed Seatern, taking her to Swallow Boats in west Wales for some work.  As a new comer to towing I discovered quite a few things (many through this forum) and I have submitted a revision to Graham's excellent library article on towing. It mainly concerns having the trailer converted to braked.  A few points I'll mention here:

(1) although my 2006 Citroen Berlingo Multispace has the 1.6 HDi turbo diesel engine it is only specified to tow 650 kg unbraked (smaller engined models are specified at 500kg).  Hence I had to have the trailer converted to braked.

(2) I checked my boat and car insurance with regard to towing and they seemed to be covered. However  at the last minute I discovered that the tow bar on my car constitutes a modification.  You must inform your insurer that the car has been modified - even if the tow bar was fitted when the car was new.  There was no extra charge but I was emailed new documents showing the modification.

(3) The Apple Maps and Google Maps apps on my iPhone (which I use as a satnav) both suggested different routes to Gwbert. My own map reading suggested a third.  The map below shows the one I finally chose which worked out well for avoiding most of the "mountain" bits and also Cardigan town centre.  If people know of improvements please suggest them.
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

David Hudson

Re: Towing Notes and towing to Swallow Boats
« Reply #1 on: 07 Aug 2015, 18:01 »
And don't forget to tie your umbilical cord to something other than round the tow hitch ball.
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2015, 15:44 »
My previous car - now deceased after the timing chain failed on the A1 last autumn - was a Honda Accord estate and, despite having a 2.2 litre diesel engine with 140BHP, the owner's manual specified an unbraked towing limit of 500kg. Sounds crazy and I assume that's not common but it demonstrates the importance of checking these things. I only found that by accident after I had been towing the then unbraked BRe for some time. I now have both a braked trailed a car specified to tow 750kg unbraked :-).
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Peter Taylor

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2015, 10:03 »
Jonathan, my assumption is that it's not the power of the motor but the weight of the car and the efficiency of the brakes that determines the unbraked towing limit - in other words how fast you can stop!  My Berlingo is mainly a box on wheels so relatively light in weight when compared to it's size, hence the low limit for an unbraked trailer.

Incidentally when I consulted the owners manual the braked towing limits were specified against a percent figure which turned out to refer to the steepness of the road, although what happens if I meet a steeper hill I don't know.  I mention it because even the Citroen dealer didn't seem to know what the figure meant!  One person suggested it referred to the amount of braking applied to the trailer (apparently not true).
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk