Author Topic: Bayraider 17 for sale - SOLD  (Read 5489 times)

markbatey

Bayraider 17 for sale - SOLD
« on: 25 Aug 2015, 11:08 »
Swallowboats Bayraider 17 number 3, Tripos, reluctantly for sale.

I’ve had Tripos for a year, really loved sailing her but come to the conclusion that I need a bigger boat for tackling the North Sea!

She’s in great condition - here’s the list:

Factory built 2010 (not from a kit).

Hull: dark blue hull, cream topsides, copper antifouled below the waterline. Epoxy ply construction, hardwood rubbing strips, Water ballast.

Rig: gunter rigged yawl with wooden mast and booms, carbon mizzen mast and gunter yard. Spars all taken back to bare wood this winter, several coats of Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 Pine. Most running rigging replaced with buff lines.

Sails: cream. Jib serviced this winter with UV sacrificial strip added. Assymmetric spinnaker with carbon pole, launching bag, halyard, sheets and blocks.

One year old Suzuki 2.5hp outboard, only a few hours use.
New spruce oars
Hardwood rowing thwart, removable.
Compass in centreboard case
Mooring cover and sail cover
CLH trailer with spare wheel, lighting board and wheel clamp

More photos at https://flic.kr/s/aHskiZjX4u

£9,500

Anthony Huggett

Re: Bayraider 17 for sale
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2015, 22:17 »
As a fellow BR17 owner (though built from a kit Emily is virtually identical to Tripos) I can't speak highly enough of this design. At the moment we get a very favourable handicap compared to the BR20 in Raids - we won 2 out of 3 days of the English Raid 2015 (and bottles every day in the Swallow Boats Raid). A lot of people seem to think the BR17 is the better design, and I would not swap for a 20, particularly not the heavier GRP variant.
The English Raid gave us a real test with winds shifting and gusting to 28 knots at times. With the ballast in and the main reefed, I never had a moment when I felt she was anywhere near capsizing.

Simon Knight

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2015, 09:34 »
"Never a moment " !  well I think that it was a close run thing when you decided to dry your jenaka, but thanks for both the shower and the lunch time entertainment ;-)

Simon
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2015, 12:09 »
Ah, but that was with the ballast pumped out, as I recall. Sorry about the shower!

markbatey

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2015, 13:52 »
Price drop - now £9500.

chris@pma-studio.com

« Reply #5 on: 04 Dec 2015, 11:24 »
Hi, please could i arrange to see the boat say 12 or 13 weekend, mu email address is
chris@pma-studio.com
I was originally thinking about the BR20 but teh 17 may be more suitable for burnham overy staithe
where we intend to sail and keep the boat. If i could maybe have a chat about the differences, my number is 07815 885 028

many thanks
Chris Matthews

chris@pma-studio.com

« Reply #6 on: 07 Dec 2015, 09:37 »
dear mark

please could you get back to me

chris@pma-studio.com

many thanks

Chris

Richard Walkerley

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2015, 09:24 »
Another reason to buy at BR17  ~  My BR20 does not quite fit in my garage!

markbatey

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2015, 10:14 »
Now sold and gone to a new home in Brittany. So if anyone is at the Golfe du Morbihan and sees a dark blue BR17, probably renamed as Fleur d'Orient, do say a big hello to Jean-Michel, her new owner.