Author Topic: BRe Centreboard Screw Loose  (Read 4888 times)

BobT

BRe Centreboard Screw Loose
« on: 13 Sep 2015, 15:05 »
I was under "Escape" to see how square she was sitting on the trailer when I noticed that one screw was missing and another almost out from the stainless steel "strap" on the centreboard (see photo "BRe Centreboard Pin").  I tightened the loose screw and it went home tight.  I then checked the others and one was a little loose and one appeared loose but on checking it had sheared, I don't think it was me! Photo shows the screw in place as it was taken before checking tightness.
The missing screw should be easy to replace but anyone have good idea for drilling out a sheared off presumably SS Screw (about 1/2 cm unscrewed)?

At the other end on the centreboard (Photo "BRe Centreboard End") can I confirm that there should be the hook in the board if so why, if not best way to repair?
All the best
Bob

Bob
BRe "Escape"

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: BRe Centreboard Screw Loose
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2015, 15:41 »
Bob,

From memory, my CB also has that "hook" at the end so it is normal and not the result of any damage. But I don't know why it is there.

That's not good about the screws! Re the sheared one, has the head sheared off the shank or is the screw still intact and spinning in the hole?
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

david

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2015, 16:35 »
I think the hook is to help you take out the centerboard when it has slipped into the slot after an inversion/capsize. Should not be needed if you use the water ballast  :D
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2015, 17:13 »
I think the hook is to help you take out the centerboard when it has slipped into the slot after an inversion/capsize. Should not be needed if you use the water ballast  :D

Confirmed from direct experience!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

David Hudson

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2015, 20:22 »
On a bayRaider...is is centreboard down, down?

I hate going sideways upwind!
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)

BobT

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2015, 20:30 »
Jonathan,
Not sure how long original screws are (ran out of time to investigate) but the sheared one "unscrewed" with about  0.5 cm of the thread coming out.

Graham, David,
Thanks for the info ref the hook, makes sense once you know.

Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2015, 12:37 »
The missing screw should be easy to replace but anyone have good idea for drilling out a sheared off presumably SS Screw (about 1/2 cm unscrewed)?

Bob

Two options i reckon, abandon that fixing point and drill/countersink the bracket for a new fixing screw as close as you can to the old one.

Remove the plate from the centreboard, you may find sufficient protruding thread then to use mole grips to grip then turn the sheared screw.

You will probably find that the bracket is Silkaflexed to the centreboard, often screws on Swallow Yachts ( had to change the name quickly then) come as a secondary fixing method.

Peter

Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard