Author Topic: BrE-owners  (Read 4926 times)

basz

BrE-owners
« on: 05 Oct 2015, 12:07 »
Hello proud captains of a Bayraider Expedition,
I would like to know what your experience is with the different parts of the BrE. Since I am considering to sell my own boat (a Marieholm 26) en buy a BrE, I have some questions.
What is your experience with the trailer that Swallowyachts deliver? Which brand is it? I have recently been to the Southampton Boat show but forgot to ask.
Do you use the ' normal' mail sail cover or do you prefer the cover with the lazyjacks? I heard that the last version (with the zip) works unhandy.
I understood that the Mark 2-system for the jib gives better results (the sail is more powerful). Anyone swears with the tacking jib? does it give sufficient speed?
Furthermore, I am curious if BrE-owners have ordered the cockpit tent, and what are your experiences with that? The photo's on this site show that it is not very firm with a strong wind.
Are the cabin cushions not to thin for a good night's rest?
Last question: do you use a cover (cockpit-cover or boat-cover) when you drive the BrE on the trailer?
Sincerely yours, and sorry for my poor English, Bas Verschoor from The Netherlands.

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: BrE-owners
« Reply #1 on: 05 Oct 2015, 15:00 »
Hi Bas,

Welcome to the forum. I'll add my thoughts where I can...

The trailer is a Snipe. It seems to be well regarded but my boat came on the older CLH trailer so I don't know much about the Snipe.

My BRe has the "normal" sail cover and not the stackpack, i.e. with zip and lazyjacks. The advice I got when buying my boat was that the normal version was best for trailer sailing but the stackpack might be worth considering if the boat is on a mooring.

The Mk2 jib is slightly larger but from what I have seen I don't believe it makes any noticeable performance difference in practice. In our informal racing I've seen boats with the self-tacking jib race alongside boats with the Mk2 jib and there was no difference in performance. For my sailing I prefer the self tacking jib. The jib looks after itself and the boat doesn't need a winch (the jib halyard's tension is set using the leverage of the jib boom). Other's prefer to have a jib to manage.

The cushions are plenty thick enough and I find them extremely comfortable. I've spent many nights sleeping in the cabin and never thought them thin.

I don't use a cover when trailing and haven't had any problems.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

basz

« Reply #2 on: 05 Oct 2015, 17:06 »
Thank you Jonathan for your response, it gives me lots of insight in the experience BrE-captains (and my future choices for my won BrE). Hope to get some other responses, the more opinions the better! I guess that you are happy with your BrE. Does 3 mean that you have the BrE 3 since the production line started in 2012? Greetings, Bas

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 05 Oct 2015, 17:10 »
Yes, my boat is BRe number 3. I'm very happy with it and the BRe gives me the right combination of performance, practicality and ease of trailer sailing. I can't think of another boat that delivers that and I would only change boats if I wanted to start doing something different with my sailing.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

PeterDT

« Reply #4 on: 05 Oct 2015, 21:27 »
Hallo Bas,

Your welcome to come and see my BRe, the one and only yet in NL as far as I know.
It is built # 7. I bought it August 2013. I fully agree with Jonathan's remarks, except for the sail cover which I do not have yet. I have no issues - unlike others on this forum - with the CLH trailer which came with the boat. I have ordered the SB cockpit tent, but haven' t had time yet to install it.
When driving with the boat on the trailer I have used a cheap plastic cover, which I will replace by a proper tailor made cover this winter. Just to keep out the rain, protect odd gear (such as bicycles) and hide Suzy the Suzuki from prying eyes.
We are very pleased with the BRe, even more as it is now a yacht rather than a boat....

Groet
Peter

Rory C

« Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2015, 21:52 »
Some comments from my perspective for you.
My trailer is a braked Snipe that even has fitted pipework for drum flushing (only necessary when waves break over the slipway when launching). I bought mine after the boat so I had to set up the rollers etc. which was a pain. I now have it so the boat is as bow high as possible and rolls into the water when launching single handed with only a couple of nudges.
I have the Mk2 jib system because I like the winch, the bowsprit (I love the asymmetric) and handling the jib sheets. It may allow you to point a little higher but it's less good on a run when the mk1 jib boom helps to keep it full.
You may have seen on the forum that I use the sprayhood and a tarp for a tent.
Matt had cockpit cushions made for me instead of Permateak - I strongly recommend them. I'll attach a photo if I can.
I dry sail my boat from home and trail it without cover (even if I have 2 bikes in the cockpit!). I have made a second bottom washboard with a diagonal cut out so I can travel with the boom and mizzen mostly in the cabin.
Hope this is helpful.
Rory Clarke BRe 25

basz

« Reply #6 on: 07 Oct 2015, 09:08 »
Thanks Peter and Rory. I like the idea of a second bottom washboard, Rory, maybe with a rubber muff/cuff to prevent rain coming in. Hadn't thought about cushions in the cockpit, but that could work very well indeed. Peter, good to know that the only BrE-captain in the Netherlands is a member here too. When the time comes, I will happily accept your invitation and have a look at your BrE with my wife. I hope that a glimpse of ,,the real thing'' will persuade her further into falling in love with this little boat, and her possibilities to trailer/sailor. Ahoy, Bas

David Hudson

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2015, 16:59 »
My trailer is a 2015 SBS and is excellent, however the lighting bar supplied is c**p with very cheap electrical fittings.
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)