Author Topic: Swallow Yachts Raid 2016  (Read 13395 times)

BobT

Re: Swallow Yachts Raid 2016
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2016, 22:21 »
Helen and Chris,

With the time of year of the event thought it wise to start looking for accommodation, B&B or self catering for 2 though happy to consider sharing a larger self catering place. Can you advise on some places as starter for ten?

Regards,
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Helen and Chris

« Reply #16 on: 07 Mar 2016, 17:11 »
Sorry for the slow reply Bob!

I'm not a local I'm afraid, but here is the list of B&Bs/guest houses provided for us last year (although the first one got a very poor rating from a fellow Swallow boater!).  There may well be others available that the local tourist office or website can help you with.  If all else fails, bring your tent and join us at the campsite - it has a view of the estuary!

www.bayviewcornwall.co.uk
www.thegardenhousemylor.co.uk
www.trefusisbarton.co.uk
www.creeksidecottages.co.uk
www.cosawesbarton.co.uk
www.flushingholidaycottages.c o.uk
www.mylor.com/holidays/

Helen and Chris

« Reply #17 on: 07 Mar 2016, 17:22 »
Bookings for the Raid are now being taken!

A booking form and proposed programme/costs are available to download from my first post in this thread.  Don't delay!

Hope to see you in Falmouth soon,

Helen

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #18 on: 28 Mar 2016, 20:11 »
I've just entered Emily (BR17).

Rory C

« Reply #19 on: 29 Mar 2016, 16:26 »
 >:( Sorry I'll not be able to make it after all this year - too much else going on.
PS Would you consider a similar event at Largs or elsewhere on the Clyde for those of us north of Watford Gap!
Rory C

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 29 Mar 2016, 16:59 »
The obvious event for anyone north of the Watford Gap is Sail Caledonia.....
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #21 on: 30 Mar 2016, 12:28 »
Rory,  The English Raid is on the Clyde this year (yes, I know it's in Scotland).
See www.raidengland.org and seperate thread on this forum.

I would potentially be interested if the SB raid went up there at some point in the future. But Mylor was excellent last year and I'm really looking forward to being back there this year.

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #22 on: 30 Mar 2016, 12:40 »
I should add that from Watford Gap services to Mylor Yacht Harbour is 278 miles and to Blairvadach Outdoor Education Centre on the Clyde it is 358.

Helen and Chris

« Reply #23 on: 07 Apr 2016, 17:28 »
We already have 22 boats entered for the Raid! Bookings are still being taken if you want to join us....

I've added a list of current entries to the first post in this thread.

Looking forward to seeing you all there,

Helen

Helen and Chris

« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2016, 14:48 »
Another two boats booked and we are up to 24 entries.  If you still wish to join us, please let me know asap!

The Raid campsite is now full, so a pitch will only become available if we have a cancellation.  The next nearest campsite, used by the English Raid in 2014, is a 10-15min drive away.

Helen

BobT

« Reply #25 on: 05 Jun 2016, 13:40 »
Helen and Chris,

We are looking to drive down Sat.  Will it be possible to launch and moor on the Sat or Sun rather than Mon.

Regards,
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Nicky R

« Reply #26 on: 06 Jun 2016, 14:10 »
I've just rung Mylor as we also wanted to launch early. They're happy for boats to come early. As it's a public slip it wont cost you anyhing to launch early but you'll need to pay the extra marina fees. Its £3.50 per metre per day. You could have a swinging mooring for less. I forgot to ask about booking in advance.
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: 06 Jun 2016, 21:24 »
Nicky,

I've never had a problem finding pontoon space at Mylor, even in peak season. You can book although in my experience they don't always actually reserve you a space unless you're a "big boat"! But you'll be fine in June...I never bother to book now and we have only had to raft a couple of times in the last 5 years.

Jonathan
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

BobT

« Reply #28 on: 03 Jul 2016, 08:51 »
Hi All,

Link should take you to the photos we took of the event. Please feel free to download any you would like (personal non profit making use please).

https://www.flickr.com/gp/135236367@N06/X7429n

If anyone has photos or "Escape" and us we would love to see them. The  photo of ones own boat under sail is tricky to get.

We had a great week despite the wind and rain! A big thank you to all those involved in organising and running the event, sadly it looks as if a wedding will get in the way of attending next years but that is a wee way off yet.

Great to meet fellow Swallowers (or is it "Gulpers") and look forward to seeing you at other locations and events.

Regards,
Bob & Kim
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #29 on: 03 Jul 2016, 09:27 »
A quick note of thanks to Helen and Chris for the brunt of the organisation and to Nick, Matt, Laura and Peter for Rib driving, VHF commentary, and lunches. And, of course, a big thankyou to everyone who was there for making it an enjoyable and successful event. None of my photo's are worth posting!
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"