Author Topic: WATER BALLASTED STORM 17 FOR SALE  (Read 3455 times)

Edwin Davies 2

WATER BALLASTED STORM 17 FOR SALE
« on: 29 Dec 2015, 15:24 »
Susan 2, ex Nona Me for sale.

For further information, please go to: 
 https://susan2info.wordpress.com/

Edwin Davies 2

Re: WATER BALLASTED STORM 17 FOR SALE
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2016, 10:04 »
Since putting the advertisement on the forum I have had 85 visitors to the website with 550 pages viewed.  I have also put an advertisement on Boats and Outboards that has had 425 visits in about a week.  Then yesterday I received a call from Google.  They informed me they had seen lots of interest in the S17 for sale,  and for £100 would ensure my boat would be item number one (for a month) on any S17 search!  They also advised me that I had priced the boat low, they had done some research and advised that I increase the price to £7750.  The internet continues to amaze me and the price stays as it is.

If nothing else it proves how much interest there is in our fine boats.

Andy Jarman

WATER BALLASTED STORM 17 advice and comment?
« Reply #2 on: 05 Feb 2020, 08:56 »
Edwin

I'm looking for advice on the Storm 17, I have found one for sail here in Western Australia and am thinkinbg about buying.  I notice you once owned a water ballasted version.  Did you fit the ballast tanks?  Do you think this is something I sahould anticipate needing to do on the one I am contemplating?

My one is has an 8 inch rectangular hole opening to the void under the foredeck - the oars and mast were slid into this hole when I inspected the boat. 

I noticed on pictures of Peewit that Ged has closed this hole off and put a circular water tight hatch off centre in his foredeck.  What is the standard design detail?  Is the foredeck void supposed to flood in a capsize?  Or is it supposed to be sealed off?  I'd like a big hatch on my foredeck to allow me to stow the anchors and spinnaker etc down there.  My local boat builder has cautioned about making the boat too buoyant though - I was wondering what the standard design detail is?

I'm also looking at the outboard well in the same fashion - would make a great place for a chart table and cold storage for victuals - did you depend on your outboard a lot?  I'm thinking I might mount it on the gunnels, I've seen a number of Outred Yawls resort to that withot much harm coming to them.