Author Topic: Trailer Sailing  (Read 5205 times)

BobT

Trailer Sailing
« on: 18 Jan 2016, 20:33 »

New to trailer sailing and my BRe I am looking for other web sites and the like that has information on trailer sailing.  Most of my searches link me to sites in US and Aus.  The dinghy cruising association looks interesting, anyone confirm but apart from that not a lot UK specific?

Is it fair to suggest that 20 footers (or there abouts) seem to sit in a gap between dinghies and cruisers and that this area is not well catered for?

I should stress that I have and hope to continue to find this forum a mine of information and the blogs of a number of the members interesting and entertaining.

Regards to all,
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Trailer Sailing
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2016, 14:27 »
Bob,

Not specifically related to the trailer part of trailer sailing but here are a couple of fairly recent UK books that I've found very useful for boats of our size:
Paul Constantine - Practical Dinghy Cruiser
Roger Barnes (President of the DCA) - The Dinghy Cruising Companion

I also like this one, which is much older: John Glasspool - Open Boat Cruising.

Of course, your BRe has a lid, so that alters the perspective a bit.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

garethrow

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2016, 19:59 »
Bob

Have you tried looking at the Drascombe Association web site. The Association has been doing trailer sailing and rallies for a very long time!

Regards

Gareth
Gwennol Teifi S17

Tony

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2016, 18:08 »
Hi, Bob.

Dont forget the OGA Trailer section www.oga.org.uk/about-trailer-section and, of course, "Watercraft" Magazine.

BobT

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2016, 21:10 »
Thank you all for the info, though keen to hear of others and any views on the Dinghy Cruising Association site.  Perhaps would be good to add some of the suggested to links page?
Tony, not sure what OGA stand for though the site looks interesting.
Graham, was that a new thread suggestion as to whether it is better to have a lid or not?  I could wish to be a few inches taller when sitting in my BRe for better visibility in tight spots though it is a great excuse for a comfy cushion!
Gareth, I had looked at Drascombe site ages ago then forgotten about it so thanks for the reminder.  Hope to catch up with you this year as no Teifi this year.

A little off topics but is Ullswater the first main gathering of the year?

Regards,
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Tony

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2016, 13:06 »
Hi, Bob.
OGA = Old Gaffers Association.
A broad church but it's the trailer section that caters for small boats like your BayRaider.

BobT

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2016, 19:28 »
Tony,
Although BRe is Bermudan rig the OGA should suit me well.
Cheers
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Tony

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2016, 21:05 »
Hi, Bob.
I have always thought that a better cruising rig for the BR Exp. would be  a high aspect ratio standing lug or perhaps a gaff rig with topsail, staysail and flying jib. Or for total simplicity, balanced lug and mizzen . 
Certain people of my acquaintance would suggest a fully battened (Chinese) lug sail and I wouldn't disagree.
Seems to me that burmudian sails are preferred by most despite their drawbacks rather than because of their advantages.  Sorry. That should be "advantage" because I can only think of one - it points a bit higher - but at what a cost !
(Now watch the fur fly!)

BobT

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2016, 22:29 »
Tony,

I got some of that eg jib, lug, mizzen but I thought:
  High aspect ratio was my wide screen TV
  Top sail was a place the wife went shopping after Christmas
  Stay sail what happens when the weather is too bad to go out
  flying jib what happens when someone lets go the wrong bit of string
  lug sail  ... oh that's enough!!!

On a serious note though I have seen a number of discussions on rigs before but provided I can get on the water and have a good sail I am happy.

Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Tony

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2016, 00:25 »
Tony,
On a serious note though I have seen a number of discussions on rigs before but provided I can get on the water and have a good sail I am happy.

Bob

........That, when all's said and done, is what it's all about!