Author Topic: WD 40  (Read 3253 times)

adel11252

WD 40
« on: 12 Feb 2016, 20:18 »
My boat is a bay raider expedition with carbon CARBON FIBER MAST.
Is it safe to use WD 40 to help raise the main sail without jamming or will it have a deleterious effect on the carbon fiber mast?

b

PeterDT

Re: WD 40
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2016, 21:44 »
Teflon spray (PTFE) is much better, in my opinion. I used it sparingly in the mast rail of my BRe, and it helped a lot. It is very clean stuff, leaves no traces and works fine.

Peter

Andy Dingle

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2016, 23:35 »

I agree, PTFE or even silicon spray (Halfords, quite reasonable) works very well on the luff slot. I'd avoid WD40 as it will get sticky as it dries off and dirt will stick to it, making things worse. Whereas silicon dries cleanly leaving a very slippery surface.
My mast is generally left up so what I do it is to get a rag or heavy duty kitchen roll stuff, soak it liberally with the silicon (or PTFE) spray, then wedge it into the slot (not too tight) between the top two slugs of your main, when you haul the sail up and down it will then lubricate the whole length of the luff slot. Or, of course if your mast is lowered you just squirt it in!

Hope this helps.

Andy
Baycruiser23 'Equinox'

Peter Taylor

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2016, 15:01 »
I use silicon spray  - sprayed onto a small bit of synthetic sponge and then wedged into the slot as Andy describes.  It makes a significant difference to getting the sail up and (sometimes more importantly!) down.  It's also good for the hatch track.
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk