Author Topic: What to cook?  (Read 12325 times)

Andy Dingle

Re: What to cook?
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2016, 06:01 »
Somewhat in awe of you all, and a little embarrassed too, reading this thread on high cuisine on the sea. Mine generally consists of Tesco's Scotch eggs, pork pies and pre packed sandwiches - with lots of tea and biscuits and lashings of warm flat cider (when safely moored up of course) ..
But I do find the taste of an impromptu meal is very dependent on how cold and hungry you are and the company you are in!
Any of you culinary experts fancy crewing a BC23 with me .. No? No, of course not... I quite understand..!

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2016, 19:53 »
I think Matthew wins the prize for the least washing up competition.
Rob J (still at Mylor)
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Matthew P

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2016, 22:35 »
Thanks Rob. My motto is "work hard at being idle" - as Graham confirms.

I recently noticed at the National Maritime Museum Cornwall that when at sea the vikings mostly ate porridge, hot and cold, mixed with honey, nuts, berries, dried meat, fish etc - no mention of curry though.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Tony

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jul 2016, 10:58 »
This is from Tristan Jones' book "Saga of a wayward sailor.":-

"Burgoo is the old standby of European Arctic sailors and fishermen. It is made by slowly filling an old, cleaned-out fish barrel with porridge. Every two inches or so put in a layer of dried herring or mackerel, which is soaked in whiskey or schnapps, or whatever other cheering potion is to hand. It is kept on deck, lashed to the mainmast or mizzen tabernacle, thus keeping it frozen. Whenever you feel hungry, whatever the weather, you nip topsides, dollop some of the burgoo in a pan, heat it up, and five minutes later there you are with a fine nutritious meal. A barrelful would last about two weeks. In very bad weather, when it’s impossible to go below and cook, you can just grab a handful and eat it cold."

Sounds like a waste of good spirits to me.  Pub anyone?

Matthew P

Re: What to cook? - reheated
« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2019, 10:03 »
Last summer I unintentionally lost 1 stone - fortunately I had plenty to start with. And my companions politely pointed out that porridge is nice but twice a day gets tedious, even with curry powder. My fault because I was cook! 

I've just enjoyed re-reading this post with excellent advice from 2016 but I know the Swallow* community has even more great ideas for food and food organisation.

I'm particularly interested in more ideas for:

3,000+ calories/day
Gladys-proof robust and low bulk robust storage
Shelf-life over one week 
Fast simple preparation by a tired crew in the limited shelter of Gladys's open-ended sprayhood
Cookable on a single gas ring plus hot water from a dedicated fast boiler stove e.g. Brewkit
Minimum pans
Minimum washing up
Tasty

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

* did you spot the pun Andrew?

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

jonno

« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2019, 16:25 »
Hi Matthew

Here's the ship's cook's response re one-pun cooking aboard BR20 Ella:

Last year I got a week's rations into 2 x11-litre clip-top plastic food storage containers of suitable size for Ella's lockers, and the kitchen kit in a small Curver open top plastic crate.

I made some useful online purchases of dried food to make soup, and supplement meals-:

Pack of organic whole dried milk
Pack of dried leeks
Pack of dried mixed veg
Pack of lentil flour.

Supermarket purchases of dried foods were-:
Dried mashed potato, the superior one by Sainsbury or Smash
Garlic granules
Marigold bouillon powder( in the stock cube section)
Couscous ( waitrose whole meal couscous doesn't need cooking, just steeping in boiling water)
Instant pasta packs Mac cheese flavour

Other foods were
Salami sausage
Tinned mince beef(as quality as poss)
Sachets of main meals
Tinned corned beef
Oat cakes, Nairns boxes have small packs inside, useful serving sized, variety of types eg plain, seeded, cheese
Tinned sardines, single serve tins tuna
Packs of individually wrapped cheese portions
Dried fruits, variety
Deluxe snack bars eg Lidl cashew cherry and dark chocolate nut bars
Nakd fruit/nut bars
Mini choc snack bars, I get Lidl or Aldi versions of mini Mars bars
Small choc bars again Lidl or Aldi come in packs of 5, plain choc is excellent
Robinsons Squashd 66ml pack
Small pack spreadable butter (lives in kitchen box as do teabags and current bottle of made up milk)

We also take a food flask and 2 drinks flasks of about 500ml, plus just one Jet boil and spare canisters (stored in appropriate snap top plastic containers)

On to what we eat:- recipes follow

Breakfast is tea, and put porridge mix in food flask, top up with boiling water, stir and shake flask well, leave about 10 mins. At breakfast make lunch soup, put 1 mix into flask, top up boiling water and shake very very well. It will be ready and cooked for lunch. Also we make a flask of hot black currant for later, from the Squashd, 2 good squirts is plenty

Lunch is soup, small pack oatcakes each with tin sardines, tuna or 2 cheese portions each, plus a Nakd bar or snack sized food bag containing mixed dried fruit(pre packed by me)

Snack packs for day typically contain lunch snack as above plus e.g a cereal bar and a chocolate treat or any combo. I prepackage 3 snacks a day each into Waitrose snack bags, organisation of food is key!

Dinner is a sachet meal ,there are some good ones called "look what I found" in Waitrose. I make the mash or couscous first in the food flask then heat the food on the jet boil after boiling the couscous or mash water. With corned beef or salami I add some extra dried veg, pre packed like the soup, to boiling water for a few mins  before making mashed potato, then it's mixed in.Some sort of cake/flapjack or pud to follow. Tea. Maybe wine!

Porridge mix
Put I small cup of oats in food processor with 30g dried milk, whizz together and pack into polybags for 2 servings. I like to add some raisins or sultanas too. One mix as above goes into the food flask.

Soup mix for 1 flask 500 ml serves 2, fits in Waitrose snack size food bag

2 dessert spoons dried mixed veg
1  dessert spoon dried leeks
1.5 rounded dessert spoons lentil flour
1.5 level teaspoons Marigold bouillon powder
Pinch cayenne to taste
Black pepper to taste
Quarter teaspoon garlic granules
Warning- no salt, there's lots in the Marigold even the reduced salt one

We find it useful to preheat the flask with boiling water, we use it to make second cups of tea

We use dried milk for tea and take it in amounts in little polybags for 250 ml at a time, using a 250 ml plastic drinks bottle (shaken hard) with a wide neck for ease of use. Last year we obtained fresh so didn't use it all. I don't like Marvel skimmed dried milk, but this milk needs pre mixing.

We didn't use all our food last year because of being able to supplement or have tea at a pub or whatever. However we do not rely on being able to re -supply for a week, food or water. I kept dinners in one container, breakfasts lunches and snacks in the other as far as possible. It gets easier through the week, and the see through sides of the containers are helpful.

Maybe our food takes more pre-prep and maybe takes a bit longer to prepare, but we didn't lose weight and we enjoyed our food! I haven't calorie counted it though.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2019, 18:40 »
John,

Impressively varied and comprehensive!

If I’m away for a week, it’s blue Alpen and UHT milk for breakfast, handfuls of snacks for lunch (especially underway) and rice and something out of a tin mixed with sweetcorn for supper.  Neither varied nor comprehensive but easy to do and not a lot of washing up involved afterwards.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III