Author Topic: BRe Mainsheet Ratio  (Read 4130 times)

BobT

BRe Mainsheet Ratio
« on: 24 Apr 2016, 21:12 »
The photo shows my current mainsheet set up. In a breeze this block ratio can be hard work.  I am considering replacing the single block attached to the boom with a double one giving me an easier pull, though more pulling required. Has anyone else done this or would you advise on pros and cons?

Regards,
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Peter Taylor

Re: BRe Mainsheet Ratio
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2016, 08:14 »
The photo shows the mainsheet on my BC20.  The blocks are as supplied by Swallow Boats (as was). The rope they originally supplied (similar to that in your photo) was too thick to run easily so I replaced that with some really good (but expensive) 8mm Swiftcord made by Maffioli.  Although the extra purchase means more rope to pull in, there is less weight on it so you can pull it in faster.  Only downside of the greater purchase is a longer tail lying around in the cockpit.  Again, the Swiftcord is good because it doesn't tangle.
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2016, 11:19 »
I replaced my setup almost as soon as I had bought my BR (in 2010), so it now looks like Peter's.  If you do the same, you'll probably have to buy a significantly longer mainsheet as well as a fiddle block.

I think this mainsheet arrangement is much easier to use single-handed, in both senses. It's less effort and more fine tuning is possible.  Until Peter mentioned it, I hadn't thought of the inconvenience of more string in the bottom of the cockpit but I suppose he has a point.  I think it's worth changing the setup and also worth buying a good quality mainsheet, as you'll probably be holding and pulling it far more than any other string on the boat.

I bought this stuff off Jimmy Green Marine : Liros 10mm Braid on Braid x Full Blue.   It handles and runs well through the blocks, is brightly-coloured and shows no sign of wear after five years.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2016, 10:41 »
It's only really the last foot or two (when beating) that needs more purchase. On bigger boats with an even purchase (so the mainsheet starts and finishes at the deck) I've seen a fine adjust purchase (say 3:1) on the other end of the mainsheet (that is normally tied off). When you've pulled in the mainsheet and cleated off, this gives you a multiplier on the main purchase, with less string overall.

So if you had a 2:1 mainsheet, you get 6:1 on the fine adjust but you have less rope overall in the cockpit than a conventional 6x mainsheet.

But it is more complex, expensive (2 jammers), and 2 pieces of string can cause more problems than 1 long one.

Personally I like to be able to let the main out instantly. I bought an auto ratchet for my BR17 after 1 hour's sailing. But I've got significantly less load to pull.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2016, 08:34 »
I tried to find an illustration of Anthony's fine adjust mainsheet but couldn't find anything simple for small boats.  The attached was the simplest that I came across, with 6:1 mainsheet plus 24:1 fine tune.  For big yachts only, I think.

I think I'm right in saying that installing a new fiddle block will give 4:1 mechanical advantage compared to 3:1 with the standard set up.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

BobT

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2016, 20:59 »
Thank you all for the information. I think I will add an additional block to make life a little easier when close hauled. I hadn't thought about the finer control available with more blocks. I had appreciated the additional main sheet required. I manage to make a cats cradle with the main anyway so some more in the bottom of the boat (yacht) isn't going to make that much difference!
The variable ratio looks great but is just a bit OTT for my Escape.
Cheers
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"