Author Topic: Sikkens colour for hardwood  (Read 2783 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Sikkens colour for hardwood
« on: 01 Jun 2016, 23:22 »
Hi,

I need to re-stain the hardwood on my BRe, mainly the gunwales. I want to match the original used in the yard and I believe that is Sikkens Cetol Filter 7. But I’ve read conflicting advice as to whether the colour is teak or mahogany. The general consensus seems to be that it is teak but I've also read that it's mahogany and that looks a better match on the Sikkens website. Does anyone know for sure what the color is before I invest in Sikkens...a mistake will be expensive so best avoided!

Thanks,

Jonathan
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Woodlark

Re: Sikkens colour for hardwood
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2016, 10:27 »
It's teak (number 085) on my 2014 BRe.
Ron Wood
ronwood@sky.com

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jun 2016, 08:48 »
Thanks! I had also checked with Matt and he confirmed it is teak. As an aside, he also said the yard doesn't use the Cetol HLS undercoat - "No definitely not HLS as base. Just go straight on with cetol filter 7. You will need to fine sand after the 2nd coat before the 3rd (final) coat."
Jonathan

Colin Morley

« Reply #3 on: 04 Jun 2016, 21:41 »
I did all the wood on my boat over the winter. I agree with the colours mentioned above. I did use the Cetol HLS but it did not seem to add anything and I would not use it again.
I needed to sand a little because of drips and running. However, now it is on the boat I would not notice them.
Colin
BR James Caird

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jun 2016, 10:30 »
Thanks Colin. I had great intentions of doing my woodwork over the winter, but the cold and dark sapped my motivation!
Jonathan