Author Topic: Bay Raider 20 Mainsail Tack  (Read 3274 times)

IanEagland

Bay Raider 20 Mainsail Tack
« on: 09 Jul 2016, 19:49 »
Hi

My main, unlike all the other BayRaiders I have seen is attached to the mast with a track that runs the full length of the mast. The tack of the sail is located by a slider that has a locating pin that can locate in a series of holes in the track. This is the same as the illustration in the Instruction Manual that Lara kindly emailed me. I can't help feeling a down haul to enable luff tension adjustment would be better. Has anyone fitted a downhaul, and if so in what form?
Regards

Ian (BR20 Rum Hart)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Bay Raider 20 Mainsail Tack
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jul 2016, 20:19 »
Ian,

I think most older BR20's had a downhaul.  See the photo below, which is a modified version.  Your slider with a pin can be replaced by a Barton slider without one, for better fine tuning.  The shackle holding down the mainsail tack has now been replaced by a hook, for speed of reefing.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Matthew P

« Reply #2 on: 09 Jul 2016, 20:39 »
Here is another downhaul similar to Graham's.  The combined pulley and jamming device was supplied by Swallow Boats (as was) because I had problems getting enough tension with the original slider and pin system (Barton) and after wearing a few years the pin often popped out. I reused the Barton sliding block to hold the tack against track but the with the pin removed.   

Like Graham I have now replaced the tack shackle with a simple hook.  Although there is a track for the tack slider carriage the main is attached with parrel beads on the main mast and lacing on the gaff.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

IanEagland

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2016, 12:05 »
Many thanks.

Just what I was looking for.
Regards

Ian (BR20 Rum Hart)