Author Topic: aren't bayraider expeditions brilliant  (Read 13080 times)

mark1

Re: aren't bayraider expeditions brilliant
« Reply #15 on: 07 Aug 2016, 15:27 »
Rory,
No visit to Loch Scavaig on that trip, have you been in there?
I've been launching at a small slip, poorly maintained and with limited parking! best option locally I think might be the new slip at Mallaig, though I've not used it myself.

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #16 on: 09 Aug 2016, 19:01 »
Speaking of Loch Skavaig, there's a really fascinating "Viking" site a few miles to the West, right on the tip of peninsula south of Loch Brittle. There's a Lochan across the peninsula that has been connected to the sea by a "canal" cut at the southern end. The entrance to the canal is guarded by a large monolith of rock with a stone protective wall across the top. Just inside the entrance are two "graving" docks, cleared of stone and just awash at high tide - ideal on which to draw up a longship!
Go have a look when you get a chance!

Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

mark1

« Reply #17 on: 11 Aug 2016, 19:18 »
the question is, has anyone had their bayraider in it yet?

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #18 on: 13 Aug 2016, 09:39 »
I anchored a Janneau 34 close the the entrance and "dinghyed" in about four years ago but I imagine that doesn't count. The entrance is at 57 deg 56.4 N, 6 deg 18.52 W
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Bill Rollo

« Reply #19 on: 13 Aug 2016, 15:30 »
Dear Rob,

looks a sporting channel...and a rather magical place. In your wanderings did you find any other similar spots on the West Coast. Given that raiding was an everyday activity there must have been other spots where galleys could lie up - concealed but with easy access to the sea - which might suit our own boats ideally?

Bill

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #20 on: 13 Aug 2016, 22:44 »
Hi Bill,

I'll make a list - I can think of several offhand but they are not as good as this one- although you'll need a high tide to get into it. Below a link to some indifferent pictures. I was wrong, I went there on the way to Stornoway eight years ago in a Westerly of some sort that I'd chartered out of Dunstaffnadge.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qes8a1p5dv0rfft/AAAYLMWb1jxoRRTnk2fUQanUa?dl=0

The other places that I can think of are the original "Gavin Maxwell" islands between Glenleg and  Loch Hourn, a little cleft in the Treshnish islands, a bolt hole just south of Stornoway and a couple on the East side of Uist - and one on the south side of Mull. Sadly, none of them are so isolated or eerily atmospheric. There's a lovely sandy beach, shielded by some tricky rock hopping, just north of Ardnamurchan point, a tidal pool between some small islands between Uist and Barra and a couple on the North end of Ghia (not sure about the spelling there) and one or two places on Jura.  I'll look up their lats and longs and post them to this site when the dreaded dissertation is finished (I've now written too many words and have not even reached a conclusion!)
Rob J

Bill Rollo

« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2016, 23:09 »
Rob

many thanks. Good luck with the dissertation!

Bill

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 30 Aug 2016, 10:25 »
We're just back from a trip to Cornwall and 4 of us spent 12 nights on our BRe. As per the original post, "my BayRaider Expedition's brilliant"  :D ! Sailed in everything from force 1 to force 6 and carried sufficient supplies (we ate on board every night bar 2) such that we only re-provisioned with food once. I am continually surprised at how well the BRe sails and that remained the case despite us being fully loaded with food and camping gear in additional to ballast.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

mark1

« Reply #23 on: 30 Aug 2016, 12:23 »
Now that IS brilliant!