Author Topic: aren't bayraider expeditions brilliant  (Read 13099 times)

mark1

aren't bayraider expeditions brilliant
« on: 16 Jul 2016, 13:15 »
well I have to tell someone!
couple of days on the west of Scotland, visited Eigg, Skye, Soay, and Rum in my Bayraider expedition.
the performance fills me with confidence each time I venture out, and the ability to enter shallow lagoons at almost any state of tide is hugely reassuring!
The ultimate hebridean cruiser?

Matthew P

Re: aren't bayraider expeditions brilliant
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2016, 19:01 »
Sounds great Mark.  A long time ago I crewed a much larger yacht around those islands and the open water between them, so I know it is not an area for the inexperienced.

Any photos?

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

mark1

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2016, 20:54 »
Matthew,
I forgot my camera, again!
will try harder on my next trip..

Mark.

Matthew P

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2016, 22:48 »
Hi Mark

I admire your attitude to photography.  I have come to the lazy view that other people are much better photographers than I am so I can enjoy the scenery unimpeded by technology on the day and enjoy other people's photographs later.  Doesn't always work though!

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2016, 23:10 »
Mark,

I was going to post a very similar comment so will add mine to yours! I've just returned home from 7 days cruising the Solent in our BRe with my wife and 2 children. We all slept on the boat and carried a week's worth of food.

On the first day of the trip , when beating back to Weymouth having decided it really was blowing a F6 gusting F7 and that running to Poole wasn't sensible, the outhaul got blown in to the mainsheet block and jammed it. Unable to ease the mainsheet when hit by one of those F7 gusts, the boat heeled until water was pouring over the coaming. For a few seconds we were pinned there, water continuing to pour in, until I could get her head to wind. Without the ballast I suspect we would have capsized but the ballasted stability was fantastic and saved the day.

When we finally sailed from Poole to the Isle of Wight, which was delayed by further strong winds, we sailed around the Needles in a 2m - 2.5m swell and the boat performed brilliantly. That day we hit 9.8 knots running with the swell and tides and despite our doubtless considerable weight, yet later in the week we were out-sailing other boats in light winds.

I thought that after 4 years' ownership I knew the BRe well. But having seen it survive some testing conditions and provide a comfortable camping platform for the 4 of us for a week I am doubly impressed with the BRe.

As Mark said, it really is an ultimate camping cruiser!
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

mark1

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2016, 17:53 »
Matthew,
thanks for your support in this matter!
I should try harder tho..
Jonathan,
great to hear these kind of tales, I've got a lot from reading other peoples adventures on here, good to share experiences.
Mark.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2016, 20:44 »
I have come to the lazy view that other people are much better photographers than I am so I can enjoy the scenery unimpeded by technology on the day and enjoy other people's photographs later.  Doesn't always work though!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Tony

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2016, 11:53 »
BEST BR BY FAR?
In my opinion the BRe is about as good as you can get for a cruising dinghy with cabin. I often say that everything that Matt got wrong with the Cardigan Bay Lugger, he got right with the BRe. This statement is as misleading as anything the politicians have come up with recently but, like all good lies, has an element of truth. 
The CBL came first, being based on the Storm 19 (a stretched Storm 17), but as “Four Sisters” was evolving on paper and coming together in the old workshop Matt already had a water ballasted 21 foot, transom-sterned dayboat in mind that became the BayRaider. It was the outcome of careful thought, good design based on sound principles and with some innovative features that raised it above the norm. It proved to be a very capable boat – fast, stable and versatile – and sold well. 
“Why not put a lid on it?” someone said.  Matt listened carefully to his customers, past and future and came up with something they hadn’t thought of, the BayCruisers 20. The hull was given more freeboard, the rig went high(er)tech and we got the best little pocket cruiser around – but it wasn’t a BayRaider!
After more prompting from various quarters, Matt went back to the drawing board and the BRe was born! This boat had the large cockpit for a family-sized day sailing crew, a carbon rig and a well designed, good-looking cabin, to sleep two in comfort, all on the BR hull. Brilliant!
 All this comes at a cost, financial and functional, but it not only ticks all the boxes for an easily trailed cruising dinghy, (the damn things get everywhere), it sails rings around the opposition, too!
Criticisms? 
•   Of its performance as a cruising dinghy, none really, but it’s too expensive to be a “starter boat”. It’s popularity means it holds its price in the used market – not that you find many for sale. (A pity that Swallow Yachts have moved away from kit boats and the excellent smaller boats - S15,S17, Trouper, etc – but it was probably the right thing for the business.)
•   Standard equipment might need beefing up to bomb-proof cruising spec.
•   A good cruising option would be a less complex rig – no slides to jam, sails that drop instantly, that sort of thing.  A fully battened (Chinese) lug would also work well.
....and Matt really should design a prettier, more interesting stern. After all, it’s the bit that the rest of us have to look at most of the time, damn it!

Tim Riley

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2016, 10:38 »
Another big yes from me. I took my new BRe on its maiden voyage from the Clyde to Oban over 3 weeks in May and it performed admirably over the 425 miles we covered.  As is always the case I had run out of time beforehand and indeed the first time it was launched was in Helensburgh so apart from a few electrical additions and a cockpit tent it was essentially straight out of the showroom. All boats are a compromise but the capabilities and comfort of the BRe together with its ease of trailering make it a superb result and one which I expect will satisfy my expeditioning aspirations for a while - at least
BRe Ristie II
Ovni 39 Acheron

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2016, 18:04 »
Hmm, should I trade down?
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

mark1

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2016, 08:12 »
Tim,
Sounds like a great trip, how did you get back to helensburgh to pick up the car?

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2016, 09:36 »
@Tim - Sounds a great cruise, can you tell us more about it? Did you go through the Crinan canal or around Kintyre?

@All - I think the BRe must be the best camping-cruiser trailer sailer available today. Nothing else offers the same combination of sailing performance, safety and ease of trailer-sailing. That's not to say it's perfect (although it's pretty damn close). If the BRe is "the daddy" then I'd like to see the lovechild of the BRe and Romilly, i.e. take the best bits of each and then you have the ultimate.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Andy Dingle

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2016, 21:19 »
Jonathan ...  That 'love child' does already exist ..  the Baycruiser 23! .. 
Everything the BRe has ..  just more of it and a little better and faster..

Rob..  'Trade down?!' Has all that edumacation stuff gone to your head! See me after class...

Andy Dingle

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2016, 21:34 »

Oh ..  I forgot to say, the Baycruiser 23 has been cited by Classic Boat Magazine (Sept '14) as a 'future classic' .. No mean recommendation I would say ..

But we don't have to be told how good they are - no matter what marque you own, just spare a thought for the others who bought something else..

Rory C

« Reply #14 on: 04 Aug 2016, 22:10 »
Hi Mark, I'd love to know where you launched for your exploration of Rhum Eigg etc. Was there a good slip and plenty of parking. Finally did you manage to include Loch Scavaig on Skye? RoryC