Author Topic: Racing a tide race  (Read 11324 times)

Michael Rogers

Racing a tide race
« on: 20 Aug 2016, 18:09 »
On Thursday 18th August (full moon, spring tides, high water mid-morning) Cavatina and I sailed from Studland to Swanage in warm sunshine and a steady southerly breeze of 8-10 knots. We stood several miles out to sea until, deciding not to carry on to Cherbourg (only joking), we came about, sailed across Swanage Bay and eventually (see below) made a leisurely landfall on a shingle beach on the north side of Peveril Point next to Swanage Sailing Club, for a late lunch. Then a tranquil run back past Old Harry with the wind dead aft, and some pleasant sailing in Studland Bay before the wind quietly died in late afternoon.

That’s not quite the whole story. In my pathetic defence I have to say that I haven’t approached Swanage from the sea before. I had looked at my Imray chart, and knew about The Red Buoy at the outer end of the Ledge. However I confused Peveril Point (which I hadn’t realised is such a puny promontory) with the much more impressive Anvil Point (Durlston Head) beyond it. And crucially I had, in the balmy conditions, forgotten that we were past high water and that the spring high tide had begun to ebb. While I was trying to orientate myself, I became aware of increasingly confused and noisy water around us. We needed to get out of there soonest. Help! We couldn’t. We were trapped in the Peveril tide race. Idiot!

In no time, or so it seemed, we were headed north on a dead run against a tide of (I’m guessing) 3 knots, which was both seriously ruffled by the steady breeze blowing in the opposite direction, and also heaping itself over the north edge of the Ledge some hundred yards ahead. Stretching away on either side of us, to the shore in one direction and out to The Red Buoy in the other, were lines of more or less stationary white water waves about 1/2 metre high with, between them, a turmoil of pyramidal heaps of water boiling up and bouncing into Cavitina’s bows, stern and midships, generally knocking her about and making steering problematic. Occasionally she was rolled so that the end of her outstretched boom was perilously close to catching in the maelstrom. The noise of breaking waves was incessant, loud and menacing.

The wind held steady. Had it increased, we might have extricated ourselves more quickly, but I guess any more wind against that tide would have made conditions within the race (where we were) much more challenging. If it had dropped, we would have lost ground and, I suppose, eventually would have been spat out of the southern end of the race, wherever that was. Another option would have been to turn into the wind and sail close-hauled down-current, but I decided that, a broach was almost certain if I turned upwind in those conditions. Sailing upstream/downwind was hairy enough.

Cavatina is no slouch. Those who have sailed with her, eg on Ullswater and at Weymouth, will recall that downwind she can keep up with Bay Raiders/Cruisers. In the next 45 minutes I have no idea how far we travelled through the water - several miles?! Over the ground it took us at least that long to cover the 100 or so yards to the north edge of the race where the water became smooth. We rocked and rolled our way by inches to eventual safety, while I steered from midships, crouched on the cockpit sole to keep our centre of gravity as low as possible. At times we were sailing a bit by the lee: this is no problem with junk rig, and a gybe was another manoeuvre to be avoided at all costs.

Eventually we crept oh so slowly out of the seething edge of the race into smooth conditions, where the water was deep but still speeding south under us towards the north edge of the race itself, which was now dropping astern, albeit with agonizing slowness. Around us sudden whirls of water about 6 ft across appeared on the surface in complete silence, catching the bow or stern to knock us off course before disappearing as suddenly. (I believe that the technical term for these is ‘up-wellings’, which sounds to me like outdoor footwear with social pretensions.) It was another 20 minutes of creeping slowly northwards against the tide before, about a hundred yards from the reassuring presence of the Swanage Lifeboat lying placidly on her mooring, I realized that our speeds over the ground and through the water had become much the same. We were free. What. A. Relief!!! As we made our welcome beach landing, my mouth was dry.

Rounding Old Harry on the way back to Studland, intermittent roaring in the distance turned out to be the Red Arrows showing off over Bournemouth. Their display over there needed several re-aligning swoops circling low above us so that they could adjust themselves to the nearest inch at 300 mph. Clever stuff - unlike the escapades some get up to...

It had been quite a day....

Michael Rogers (+ Cavatina - it wasn't her fault and she was brilliant)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Racing a tide race
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2016, 21:08 »
Phew!  Thanks for sharing.

Satellite image of the scene of the crime below.  Peveril tidal race is clearly visible top right. Anvil Point and Durlston Head are bottom left.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Michael Rogers

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2016, 15:19 »
Thanks, Graham (though I think 'crime' is a bit strong!). It looks as if the satellite pic was taken towards the end of the ebb flow. There would have been another 6ft of water depth last Thursday (it was springs, remember). And the aeriel view doesn't go out as far as the Big Red Buoy.

Both from the satellite and on charts Peveril Point sticks out and you'd think it would be obvious at sea level, but I assure you it isn't. It's only about 40ft high max with a few low-ish buildings perched on it, and it is dwarfed by the higher ground, cliffs and buildings behind it. You have to get fairly close in to be able to see where it is and how far it sticks out - which is what I was doing when I got 'caught'. Having been south of the point (towards the bottom of the photo) and finally worked out what and where it was, I sailed out to round it, straight into the race which I think must have built quite quickly in the previous few minutes.

Peter Taylor

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2016, 20:49 »
I imagine that the National Coastwatch Station on Peveril Point were watching you with some concern!  I've seen the tide race from that station...  even the Swanage Lifeboat goes round the tide race, not through it!  Whether getting into it was a "crime" or not, getting out of it sounds like a good bit of seamanship, well done!
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2016, 16:06 »
Vagabond and I met this tide race too. It was "with us" as they say and we were three miles offshore but still met it - here's the excerpt from the blog:
'Crossing the tide race at St Albans was interesting, for, although we were at least 3 miles off shore (the recommended distance), we negotiated breaking waves, unpredictable crests and troughs and, once through,  a  thoroughly confused sea for a mile or so. Nearer the shore, I could see a line of breaking waves.'
Fortunately (in one sense) it was flat calm - it just made it noisy in the cockpit!
I can imagine the conditions that Michael was in! Well done to get through it safely.

Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Peter Taylor

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2016, 07:59 »
Different tide race Rob! The one at Peveril extends less far out (that last remark is "not to be used for navigation") but is particularly vicious. Attached is the Google Maps image which Graham drew attention to - I've magnified it and it does give a good impression of what the race is like (possibly on a calm day!).  I've also marked the "Swanage NCI" station on Peveril Point overlooking the race.  There is also an NCI station at St Albans Head.

Provided they can see and identify you (having a junk rig will help) an NCI station should be able to give you your approximate position (e.g. "you are about x nm off the coast and y nm west of the tide race").  For them to get your bearing from the station is easy, to estimate your distance is much more difficult.  Both "Swanage NCI" and "St Albans NCI"  have radar which will help in that regard provided they can see your echo. However the latter is not easy unless you have an active radar transponder or an impracticably large reflector.  All NCI stations listen and transmit on VHF ch.65 so call them direct on that channel using the call signs quoted above.

St Albans is manned from 0900 to 1700 (June to end August) and 0930 to 1700 or sunset if earlier (September to end May), ops room phone is 01929 439220. Swanage (on Peveril Point) is manned 0900 to 1800 (or sunset if earlier during the winter), ops room phone is 01929 422596. NCI stations are closed on Christmas day.
Peter Taylor

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2016, 09:24 »
I thought I was lost most of the time!
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2016, 11:08 »
I knew about the NCI station at Peveril Point, but as I explained I didn't know where that was and somehow expected the station to be like an eagle's eyrie perched high on a cliff! (The St Alban's Head station must be a bit like that?). I made sure I knew the NCI VHF channel number. However at the time I found I didn't have a spare moment to give them a call (if you know what I mean): and what could they have done, except perhaps to say, 'If I were you, I wouldn't start from there', which would sort have been fair comment in the circumstances. But they must have had a grandstand view!

As I got 'stuck' I did notice a chunky commercial fishing boat loitering (i.e. not apparently going anywhere, nor fishing) beyond the race. Too busy after that, but saw her again motoring away with some sort of intent once I was free of the race. Nice to think she may have been passing, and stood by in case - to pick up the pieces?! One wants to be able to contact people like that and say, 'Thanks pal, very much appreciated' but I didn't note her number.

Peter Taylor

« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2016, 08:23 »
like an eagle's eyrie perched high on a cliff! (The St Alban's Head station must be a bit like that?)
See attached photo!

I hate to disillusion you Michael but I strongly suspect the fishing boat was servicing lobster pots rather than looking after your welfare (or am I just too cynical?).  On the other hand I'm sure you were being watched from the NCI station. It's also possible that they may have warned the CG that a small sailing boat had entered the tide race and that they had you "on visual". In such a circumstance the CG would probably ask for 15 minute updates and task a lifeboat if it were deemed that your progress was too slow or likely to get worse as the tide strengthened or conditions worsened. At least, that's the sort of thing that's supposed to happen!

Postscript to my previous post where I gave the telephone numbers for the NCI stations: mobile phone coverage along that piece of the Dorset Coast is notoriously bad. It is not unknown for people to check their phones in villages like Worth Matravers only to find the message "Welcome to France"! VHF is definitely a better bet if you need to be rescued.
Peter Taylor

Michael Rogers

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2016, 10:05 »
Yes, that's exactly what I thought Peveril Point would look like: I don't know why!

You may be right about the fishing boat, Peter. I just like to think the best of people, and I'm often right about THAT.

However, your comments are salutary. I got myself into a fix, and never for a single moment did I think or assume that anybody else should get me out of it. NCI, the CG and RNLI are there to help, and would have come to my aid if the worst had happened, but I don't like to think that I might have caused a lot of expensive and potentially hazardous hassle to others. Well, hindsight can be handy, and once again I've given myself cause to think that I've got a lot to learn!

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2016, 19:19 »
I found this photo of Peveril Point taken from the land.  A bit of the race is off to the right with what looks like yachts skirting around it.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Taylor

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2016, 07:40 »
...never for a single moment did I think or assume that anybody else should get me out of it. NCI, the CG and RNLI are there to help, and would have come to my aid ..... once again I've given myself cause to think that I've got a lot to learn!

I think that one of the good things about sailing is the more of it I do the more I find that I have more to learn! And of course as Michael implies, we do have to assume that no one will come to our aid because on large stretches of coast that is the reality. 

However... since I've been an NCI watch keeper I've been amazed at the ways people assume the lifeboats will help them.  I'd always assumed that the lifeboats were there specifically for occasions when life was threatened.  However time and again there are incidents where a boat cannot get to where it was going due to engine failure, gear breakage, etc. and they call up the CG and the CG tasks a lifeboat to tow them in!  Last Sunday the Calshot lifeboat was launched to tow a small rib, which had landed up ashore on the opposite side of Southampton Water, the one nm back to Calshot. I can't help but think that if the lifeboats came out of the CG budget (as they do in many countries) the CG would be less willing to call them out on such occasions.  In the Solent there is SeaStart (a sort of marine AA organisation) who will aid members and, I understand, tow in non-members for a fee. 

On the other hand... if you are possibly in trouble, perhaps its a good thing that the CG in the UK does not hesitate to task a LB!

Peter
Peter Taylor

IanCollinson

« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2016, 10:21 »
I wonder if the watching fishing boat was perhaps hoping for a salvage claim? I don't know the tide race but it sounds pretty dangerous and so if the fishing boat had towed you out of the race it could have made a pretty big claim. I don't think the Life Boat crews ever make a claim, God bless them....
BR17 Rosalita

Michael Rogers

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2016, 13:21 »
You are a lot of cynics! However, salvage claims is an interesting topic in its own right, so I've started another thread.

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2016, 21:13 »
Michael,

I sympathise and also agree that Peverill Point is insignificant from the sea. I think it's the only boring part of that coast and I'm always pleased to reach Swanage Bay when heading north. I also find the red buoy hard to spot and is further off-shore than I expect. For that reason I have the buoy as a GPS waypoint...even so, when I sailed there last month I started doubting how far out the GPS was sending me until I spotted the buoy through the binoculars.

Do you have a copy of "Inshore Along the Dorset Coast"? Your post reminded me that this has an excellent photo of the race and the book is worth reading.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"