Author Topic: 'Long day out' spec Bayraider?  (Read 11945 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: 'Long day out' spec Bayraider?
« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2016, 13:29 »
Max,

Sounds like the lazy jacks / topping lift although I can't be sure. The BRe comes with lazy jacks as standard. I fitted mini cheek blocks to the mast and made the lazy jacks adjustable so I have a topping lift too. I find that very useful.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Peter Taylor

« Reply #16 on: 23 Oct 2016, 16:46 »
It looks like the topping lift to me.  On my BC20 the topping lift comes off the mast just below the lib block, however it goes to the boom end rather than half way along.  I have a topping lift as well as adjustable lazy jacks and find both worth having.  I don't think I'd trust the lazy jacks/sail bag system to support the boom all the time that Seatern is moored at the jetty.
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

maxr

« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2016, 17:52 »
Thanks Peter. Hawk20s come with a cunningly designed aluminium pole that fits in a socket to support the boom end and immobilise it. It stops the boom beaning you when the boat rocks with the main down, and means you can safely leave the boat in the water with the mainsail secured on the boom under a sail cover. Because the boom is then secured by gravity and a lightly tensioned mainsheet (just enough so the boom end can't jump out of the crutch), it relieves stress on the rig when parked up, rather than adding stress and wear as the usual kicker/mainsheet/topping lift boom securing arrangement does on many yachts. I expect a variation on this could be rigged or bodged to fit a BC20 or BR.