Author Topic: Selling a boat on the internet  (Read 3135 times)

Edwin Davies 2

Selling a boat on the internet
« on: 25 Oct 2016, 10:19 »
Having just sold my Storm 17 on the internet, through a Boats and Outboards advertisement, Swallow Yachts forum and my own website I hope the following is of interest. 

Total views were 11,154.   5,870 on B&O,  1,113 on SY and 4,177 on my own website.  The boat eventually going to Europe so the falling £ most likely had an effect.  First up for sale January 2016.

The boat was driven off the drive today on the way to Holland.  Sad empty space left.

Incidentally, with my own website, being able to see how many visitors there were and which pages they were looking at, allowed me to make a judgment about how serious they were.

Rob Johnstone

Re: Selling a boat on the internet
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2016, 11:28 »
I wonder if you could tell us which site yielded the winning bid?
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Andy Dingle

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2016, 12:11 »
Well done on selling Edwin. The new owner has got a lovely little boat there. Co-incidently I saw your ad marked up as 'sold' last night on B&O.

I've sold quite a few boat over the years and most have gone via the B&O website too. Two through class association websites.

On the other side of the coin, as a potential buyer - I've been mulling over my future sailing/cruising options and as such have been keeping a close eye on the market for something bigger and heavier, especially at this time of year.

I've spotted three yachts these past few weeks, one of which was exactly what I wanted, the lady owner was retiring from sailing and selling everything at a very attractive price. I emailed the brokers (NYB). No reply. Emailed again, still no reply. Tried to phone, only to be told they would 'get back to me'. Never did. I managed to track the owner myself and spoke with her, only to be told she had only just acccepted an offer. I was annoyed to say the least.
This past week I have made enquiries on two other boats, via the brokers advertising on B&O and Apollo Duck. Again no response whatsoever.

I have had dealings with brokers myself when I signed up to one to help find a sale and administer it as I am frequently abroad. One chap who turned up (contact via class assn website, not the brokers) warned me off them. 'The spawn of the devil'! His words..  and he proved to be right.

Andy

Edwin Davies 2

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2016, 06:58 »
Rob.  The first contact was Boats and Outboards but they were convinced by my website.  Just watched the boat set off for Holland!  Mixed feelings.

maxr

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2016, 18:14 »
I've sold three dinghies in the last few years via www.apolloduck.co.uk/ . I believe you can check what prior sales asked for on that site. The ad got a good response in terms of email enquiries and sales success, at least for what I sold - a good middle aged Laser, an old cheap Solo, and a pristine Wanderer.  There were very few time wasters, but I tried to describe the boats accurately, price them realistically, put up 'warts and all' photos, and use some judgement on the enquiry emails. IThe Laser did attract a few calls from smaller boat dealers. They were polite, upfront about what their interest in the boat was, and the price they were likely to offer. They were happy with my response of my response of 'thanks very much, I'll let you know if I don't do better from someone who wants to sail it'. In the event, the private buyer of that boat drove 150 miles to see it, buy it for cash and drive it home.

I'd say realistic pricing and description makes life easy for everyone - I have friends who took two years to sell an old but sound Laser which would have gone in two weeks if they hadn't overpriced it.