Author Topic: Lake District Meeting 2017  (Read 19628 times)

Matthew P

Re: Lake District Meeting 2017
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jan 2017, 19:01 »
I'm delighted you are coming to Coniston in July Bob and Kim. 

The NT Hoathwaite campsite is quite restrictive on the number of campervans and cars with trailers (effectively just 6) and The National Trust campsite admin is a bit complicated so I'm now looking at alternative camp sites that are a bit more relaxed - maybe the neighbouring Coniston Old Hall, although they don't take bookings until March.  I'll give an update when I have more news, meanwhile if you have already made a booking at Hoathwaite hang onto it for now. 

Also the water is apparently shallow for a long way so I contacted The Conniston Boat Centre for advice.  They could not be more helpful - here is their response:

1.       Launch Ramp (self-launch)
You are able to self-launch/recover, if you feel confident with the vehicle you are using for this there is a daily launch/recovery fee which will be listed below.
Should you need or want it, there is tractor assisted launch/recovery by us, between 0900 – 1700, this fee will be listed below also.

2.       Mooring (Overnight/camping on board)
You are able to spend the night on your vessel. At the moment there are no moorings or mooring services, and there is no approved anchorage. Users usually spending the night on the water tend to be fisherman, and so their vessel is always under command. I may have a solution to this for you though.

3.       Trailer & Car Parking
We have a car park! There is free parking available around The Bluebird Café however this fills up quickly. Trailers are usually left parked on the beach in front of the café after launch, so they are accessible for recovery without having to tow in and out of the paid car park, as this can be tricky during busy times.

4.       Other
There are no limitations on vehicle size.
Vessels longer than 26ft cannot be launched on Coniston Water.
Coniston Boating Centre runs the only non-privately owned pier/jetty on Coniston Water. To use any other pier/jetty you would need to acquire permission from the landowner prior to arrival.

This is the same situation with shore-line access.
If you know where you would like access to I can do my best to find out who owns that pier/jetty and put you in touch with them.

Launching Fees (daily)
Up to 12ft                                            £5.00
12ft to 16ft                                          £8.00
16ft to 20ft                                          £12.00
20ft to 26ft                                          £15.00

Assisted Launch 0900 – 1700
Up to 26ft                                            £15.00

Overnight Storage at Coniston Boating Centre Secure Premises: £10

In terms of booking in advance to avoid queues; I am happy to come down early (before 9am) and launch all the vessels for you, or provide you with the gate combination so you can let yourselves in, so you beat the ‘rush’. You mentioned possibly camping at a local campsite, if you are still wanting to do so I am happy to do this for the 3 days (21.07.92 - 23.07.92). We can store your craft overnight and launch/recover daily as it sounds like you would be wanting to sleep on board if staying overnight.

In terms of cost, I have listed our tariffs above. If this daily launch and recovery is something you would be interested in; as you’ve provided prior notice I can work out a package deal to include all your craft.

To do this I would need to know, exactly:

-How many vessels you would like the package deal to include. Any additional vessels (anyone jumping in last minute, if you follow) would be charged at the regular rates listed above.

-The sizes of the vessels (roughly to the nearest ft. would suffice).

-What time you would like to launch, if assistance is required, as I would need to coordinate the team.

I hope this is of use, if I can provide any additional help please don’t hesitate to contact me either via this email or shaun.atkinson@lakedistrict.gov.uk

Kind Regards,
Shaun Atkinson
Coniston Boating Centre.

If we get a firm idea of numbers before May I'll co-ordinate with Shaun for the "package deal"

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2017, 11:56 »
Matthew,

Excellent job!  If we have somewhere to launch and recover boats and to park trailers safely, then there is less pressure to find a lakeside campsite, which might broaden the possibilities a bit.  Thank you for not in any legal sense organising this.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Matthew P

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2017, 13:47 »
Change of campsite venue to Coniston Old Hall!

The National Trust insist group bookings at Hoathwaite are made by one Gruppenführer (not a role I relish) and that we organise our own portaloo rental and restrict the number of campervans to 2  and cars to 12 so I recommend we scrap any bookings there and all book at Coniston Hall Campsite (COH) instead.  My apologies to Bob, Graham, Aenbharr, BobT and John who have already booked   >:( and will need to cancel and re-book at COH.

Coniston Old Hall Campsite is on the Lake shore within walking distance of Coniston village (and pubs!) and the Coniston Boat Centre (see useful details posted 15th Jan below).  I recommend we all launch and park our trailers at Coniston Boat Centre because of the excellent facilities, willing staff and to avoid towing boats down the very narrow twisting lanes to the Coniston Old Hall.

Specific pitches at Coniston Old Hall cannot be reserved, so it will unlikely we can all pitch in one place.  However, as we will can pull the boats up and meet up on the campsite beach I don’t think this is a worry.

If you wish to stay at Coniston Old Hall please book directly by phoning 01539 441223. Bookings for Coniston Hall Campsite cannot be made until 1st March, after it is first come, first served, so book early to avoid disappointment :( .

Coniston Old Hall (COH) Campsite  2016 prices (not confirmed for 2017 yet) are:

£8/night/adult
£4/child/night
£2/car/night
£2/boat/night
Campervans welcome but no hook-ups

Here are some extracts from the website at https://conistonhallcampsite.wordpress.com/coniston-camping/

On Site Facilities:
o   Hot Water
o   Flush Toilets
o   Showers
o   Shaver Points
o   Washing Facilities
o   Launderette
o   Chemical Toilet Disposal
o   Site Shop
o   Gas
o   Fishing on Site
o   Local Shop
o   Pets Welcome
o   Parking by Unit

"The ground is hard though; without a mallet you’ll be bending a few pegs and swearing a bit no doubt. But the location is lovely. The forest is full of birdsong, and there’s also goats, chicken and peacocks ( not including Matthew Peacock, ;D) that live on the site, so there’s always some natural noises going on. There is no electricity hook up at all on site, but reception will charge anything such as phones, laptops or camera batteries, for 50p an item. Drinking water is piped through 3 or 4 standpipes, and there are several rubbish collection points."

COH is my sort of campsite.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

BobT

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2017, 12:41 »
Matthew,

Thanks for doing the leg work, Kim and I are fine with the change of venue and already had Coniston Boat centre on the list of people to contact ref launching later in the week.

I have also emailed Coniston Sailing Club but still waiting to hear back.

Thanks again,
Bob & Kim
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Chris Capener

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2017, 09:34 »
Hi everyone,

This sounds like a great trip. I am still building my Storm 17 kit ! I had to put the build 'on hold ' for four years while I was working in Malaysia.

I am hoping to be ready to launch by the end of March, if all goes well and there is any room left then maybe I could join you guys?

Best wishes
Chris

Matthew P

« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2017, 21:26 »
You are very welcome Chris and if your Storm 17 is not ready you will be welcome to sail in Gladys and  probably the other boats too.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Chris Capener

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jan 2017, 18:09 »
Many thanks for your kind offer Mathew. I'm sure I'll be ready, I'll keep you posted.

Chris
 :)

BobT

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jan 2017, 10:07 »
Been in touch with Coniston Sailing Club ref staying on for the week after the Meet, the important part of their reply is below:

"You would of course be welcome to join us as temporary members at the club during that week. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible to keep your boat on our dinghy park due to its size. Temporary membership would give you full use of the club facilities, including launch and use of the club jetty. Boats can't be left unattended on the jetty overnight so unless you were sleeping on the boat it couldn't be moored there and the club doesn't hold any visitor moorings."

This doesn't help me but may be useful if someone is looking to live on-board. They didn't give me any costs. The email was from Grant Spooner, Hon Secretary, Coniston Sailing Club.

Coniston Boat Centre have been very helpful to me ref boat accommodation for the rest of the week.

Regards,
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

charliea

« Reply #23 on: 01 Mar 2017, 12:48 »
Just called Coniston Old Hall campsite, they are now saying they won't be taking bookings until the 25th March

James Lowden

« Reply #24 on: 14 Mar 2017, 16:37 »
I can confirm the above that 'Coniston Hall Campsite'  are "not open yet". Pity as I was trying to get it all sorted.
I can also confirm that I have now cancelled my booking at NT's 'Hoathwaite Campsite' which I had thought was an unusually early(too early) organisation for me.
I've spoken to 'Coniston Boating Centre' to try to book up and was asked just to email my details, and confirm with Matthew P so he can negotiate a Group Booking discount for us all later.
So actually I haven't fixed up anything definitely yet - but the will is there.
Herewith my/our details again to clarify - we wish for..
5 Days/Nights 20/07/17 - 24/07/17(leave 25/07/17) - 1 day extra each end.
Boat is 'Tarika' BR17.
2x Adults in a Campervan.
Looking forward to it now as the arrangements look excellent.
Cheers to Matthew P.
Jim & Lin
Jim L
BR17 'Tarika'

Matthew P

« Reply #25 on: 15 Mar 2017, 14:35 »
Thanks James and Charlie for your updates.

I was told that Coniston Old Hall campsite office would be open for bookings at the beginning of March and I'm a little surprised they are leaving it so close to the season.  I don't think there will be any problems if we individually phone in the first week or so if April - but to be sure, don't leave it much longer. 

Let me know how you get on.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Matthew P

« Reply #26 on: 17 Mar 2017, 20:31 »
I've received an email from Shaun Atkinson at Coniston Boating Centre. 

Shaun very helpfully says:

"Just writing to request an update on a few details of your party so I can work up a price for you and get it all finalised in good time for your event.
I can also produce a sheet of information for your party as it’d be handy if we’re all on the same page, it will help the event move smoother in terms of launch/recovery.

So far I have had a few people contact me directly with requests for ‘extensions’, which is absolutely fine; but everything needs to be finalised soon so I can staff for requirement.

All I require from you for each individual boat is:
-The name of the owner, an email address and/or contact telephone number
-The extreme/overall length of the boat they are bringing
-If they are launching the boat themselves, or if they require assisted launch/recovery. If they are unsure if their vehicle is appropriate or not then they should assume it isn’t, and let myself do it with our tractor unit.

Ideally the sooner I have this information the better, but I understand that when organising a group event such as this there are always a few that make it somewhat difficult!

So far I have information from Bob Todd and James Lowden.

I am more than happy to receive this information from each individual to save you some work, by all means forward this to your party so they can see details I require, and if any others would like to extend their time they need to be contacting me as soon as possible. July is going to be a busy period and I want to make sure you are taken care of as you’ve given me the most notice."

Shaun
Tel: 015394 41366
Email: conistonbc@lakedistrict.gov.uk

So please contact Shaun and let him know who you are and what services you will require.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

John Perry

« Reply #27 on: 30 Mar 2017, 17:12 »
Fellow Coniston-ers!

I am intending to be with everyone in July. My plan is to camp at Coniston Hall and keep the boat at the Coniston Boat Club. Hopefully arriving on Wednesday 19th July and leaving on Thursday 27th July - so extending the weekend to a week.

I spoke to Coniston Hall after email-ing them and getting no reply. They do not take bookings except for Bank Holidays, i.e. it is not a question of when bookings are open - they don't take them for the period we are looking at. Not ideal, but there it is.

I also spoke with the Coniston Boat Club (but not Shaun). The man I did talk to indicated that 'just turning up' is fine. They will charge for boat storage and it sounded like £10 per day or £75 per week for a 6m Bay Raider (he accepted the maths didn't make sense!) Car parking at the Boat Club will probably be pay and display as there are only a few free places.

So the Perry-plan is to turn-up Wednesday or Thursday and see what happens! Oh, I have also booked a week of sunshine  8) but that was pricey…
John,
Bay Raider Expedition 030, "Moireach"

Matthew P

« Reply #28 on: 31 Mar 2017, 16:00 »
Thanks John for your useful information on Coniston Boating Centre (referred to by John as Coniston Boat Club - but it's the same outfit)

Shaun (our Coniston Boating Centre contact) has just emailed me the following, which confirms John's information:

Dear All,

I am under instruction from my superior to provide the following information.

Launching fees at Coniston Boating Centre:
Up to 12ft                            £5
12ft to 16ft                          £8
16ft to 20ft                          £12
20ft to 26ft                          £15
Tractor assisted launch and recovery for all sizes               £15
Overnight storage (yard and pier)            £10

I have asked for details from all involved and not received them, so our involvement with your event will be as follows.

We can launch and recover between the hours of 0900 and 1700. Launch/recovery/storage rates are as above.

The plan of action per person is simple:
-          Arrive at our centre and pay for whatever you need as above, individually.
-          If you need assistance launching/recovering we will provide it.
-          If you require overnight storage you must inform us when you pay for your daily launch/recovery.

The original intention was to have everyone sorted, paid and booked before the event. I can see that this is going to difficult, so we will operate on a first-come-first-served basis on the morning(s).
We do not need prior notice for storing your craft.

I’m sorry we couldn’t work this out more efficiently, unfortunately my hands are now tied.
Many thanks to all who provided details promptly.

Kind regards,

Shaun Atkinson
Coniston Boating Centre
Lake Rd, Coniston LA21 8EW
Phone: 015394 41366

mjkings

« Reply #29 on: 05 Apr 2017, 20:55 »
Matthew,

I'm Mark Kingsley, a pal of John Perry. I plan to bring BRe44 up to Coniston for the rally. I will be staying for the same period that John is. Looking forward to meeting up with you in July.

Mark

BRe44 Lorikeet