Author Topic: Lake District Meeting 2017  (Read 19520 times)

Matthew P

Lake District Meeting 2017
« on: 13 Nov 2016, 11:43 »
Is anyone interested in an "unorganised" (but not disorganised) Lake District rally next summer?

Ullswater (again) or Coniston? - or both if demand is sufficient.

We know the Glenridding Sailing Centre http://www.glenriddingsailingcentre.co.uk/ is very welcoming

Coniston might be a nice change and Tim has made some good suggestions for a venue that I will check-out if there is enough interest.

21st -23rd July?

Alternative suggestions welcome but may not be adopted.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

"Unorganised" means participants will, as usual, be totally responsible for their own and others safety, financial and any other consequences, although of course newbies are very welcome and will no doubt get lots of unofficial help and advice if they ask for it. 

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

jonno

Re: Lake District Meeting 2017
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2016, 15:45 »
[quote
Is anyone interested in an "unorganised" (but not disorganised)
[/quote]

Yes, I am. A Lake District meet on that weekend looks good to me. Thanks for unorganising this Matthew.

John

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2016, 16:47 »
I'm in.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

garethrow

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2016, 19:19 »
Would love to Matthew - but we have decided to commit to the Swallow rally in Myler and can't manage more time off in the same month.

Regards

Gareth
Gwennol Teifi S17

Matthew P

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2016, 09:34 »
The SY Rally at Mylor is 2nd-6th July so I hope the Lake District on 22nd-23rd is feasible for most,  if not we can move it back. 

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2016, 11:10 »
Matthew,

I'm easy on Coniston or Ullswater - we won't be troubled by excessive motor traffic at either as the speed limit at both is 10mph (except when attempting world speed records).  Coniston has a simpler outline than Ullswater's dogleg.

As your suggested date is only a long weekend and some distance (date-wise) from Mylor, I think 21st-23rd July is fine.
Graham

Wave Sweeper

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2016, 17:03 »
We'd be interested in bringing Aenbharr, Matthew. I'd be happy with either location. I have been to Drascombe events on Coniston - they use the Coniston Sailing club who are very hospitable and have a nice bar! There are good camping facilities close to hand, and a few pubs and B and B places in the village.
The only difficulty is access to the slipway which is not easy, due to the number of obstacles in the way to be reversed around!
The Drascombers tend to go down to the other end of the lake on Saturday and then leave individuals to so their own thing on Sunday. The sailing club has a large BBQ they seem happy for people to make use of, which goes well with their bar!

John Perry

« Reply #7 on: 04 Dec 2016, 16:08 »
Matthew, definitely interested in a Lake District gathering. Coniston sounds a good idea just because it is different to Ullswater! I am not sure about my dates in July yet, so have to leave it conditional until summer plans come a bit more into focus for Adele and I.

(Facilities at Coniston sound pretty much spot on…)
John,
Bay Raider Expedition 030, "Moireach"

BobT

« Reply #8 on: 04 Dec 2016, 21:49 »
Matthew,

Excellent news. Very interested and Ullswater or Coniston would be fine. Date in diary.

Bob & Kim
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Matthew P

« Reply #9 on: 06 Jan 2017, 18:50 »
CONISTON 21st - 23rd July 2017

Coniston is famous as the home of Swallows and Amazons, the ancient Gondala steam launch, Donald Campbell's Bluebird, Ruskin's home Brantwood and stunning surrounding mountain scenery.

Hoathwaite campsite has been recommended by Tim.  It is in a beautiful setting with an area put aside for groups such as ours.  There is access to the lake shore via a track.  I'm told access to the the lake is across a stony shore into gently shelving water but with help and a bit of grunting most of us can manage that.  Anyone wanting a concrete slipway can use the town slip way further up the lake. I believe we can either pull the boats ashore although there may be some passing pedestrians or anchor just off-shore. There is room on the campsite to park cars and trailers.

I've provisionally booked Hoathwaite campsite with the National Trust on the  following basis:

Arrival date: 21st July  This is close to the school holidays starting so roads might be busy but maybe it will be nice to have some kids along.

Duration: 2 nights
People: 12?
Boats: 6?
Campervans: 2-3?

We are required to arrange for a portaloo and I've been advised to contact www.lakesloos.com Hopefully everyone attending will share the cost, regardless of whether actually they use this facility.  No corny puns please on this topic.

Costs are as follows:
Adults - £6/night
Children - £3/night
Dogs - £1.50/night
Boats on trailers - £7.50/night
There is no cost for the tents or campervans

Individual booking and payment should be made direct to NT Campsites.  Please contact Craig Wilson, Business Support Lead, Holidays (Lake District), campsite.bookings@nationaltrust.org.uk Tel 015394 32733. Please mention you are booking for the Swallow Boats meeting. 

And please message or email me so I know who to expect, even if you are using a B&B (or perhaps renting a neighbouring Teepee). Don't bother to say if you are NOT coming, I only want to know who is!

An information sheet is attached. Further information is at:

http://twitter.com/NTGondola
http://twitter.com/NTLakescamping

Follow us on facebook:
www.facebook.com/GondolaNT
www.facebook.com/NTLakescampsites

Guess what?  Coniston lake is full of deep, cold water! Personally I expect to to have lots of fun but plan to remain upright and dry at all times. All my usual denials of responsibility for participants' physical, financial and emotional safety apply.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

charliea

« Reply #10 on: 07 Jan 2017, 11:29 »
Matthew

I've just emailed Craig Wilson to make a reservation for two adults and two kids (aged 7 and 9, both Ransome fans).

Let me know what I owe you for the portaloo.

Everyone looking forward to it, thank you for putting the meet together.

Charlie

James Lowden

« Reply #11 on: 09 Jan 2017, 22:06 »
Hi Matthew. Count us in.
That is 2x in a Campervan and a BR17.
Looking forward to a great outing like last year.
I've booked via NT today.

Jim
Jim L
BR17 'Tarika'

Matthew P

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2017, 07:40 »
Thanks Jim, I look forward to seeing you both at Coniston.

I got a slightly panicky phone call from a National Trust admin person saying they have already 2 booked two campervans which is the limit but i understand they take lots of tents. I'll confirm the exact position this week meanwhile if they have accepted your booking then thats OK. I'll also check out other local campsites for campervans but they may not have direct lake shore access.

Matthew
Gladys BR20

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2017, 09:56 »
I've booked!
Graham

BobT

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2017, 17:01 »
Hi Matthew,

Local accommodation booked!  As last year we will be staying on after the weekend for some more sailing and walking.  Anyone else looking to be there for more than the weekend?

I will contact the campsite ref keeping boat there for longer.

Regards,
Bob & Kim
Bob
BRe "Escape"