Author Topic: Chichester Harbour (UK)  (Read 4096 times)

Rob Johnstone

Chichester Harbour (UK)
« on: 24 Nov 2016, 16:59 »
Does anyone know of a good guide to the various anchorages etc
 included within Chichester Harbour?
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Peter Taylor

Re: Chichester Harbour (UK)
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2016, 11:13 »
visitmyharbour.com ? There aren't many official anchorages. East Head gets crowded, east of Pilsey Island is much quieter. When I anchored there to the east of the channel (where the little "anchor" was on my chart) the Harbour Master told me the official spot was to the west of the channel, i.e. adjacent to Pilsey Island. I tried there the next night and got woken up by what sounded like a water fall - it was the current rushing past Seatern on its way out of the Harbour.  However my anchor held and otherwise it is a quiet spot unless artillery vehicles are manoeuvring on Thorney Island. Another time I'd anchor north of the pile barrier which I was told is allowed and where the current is probably less.

The Harbour master is said to be keen on you showing the correct shapes and lights - including a cone if motor sailing. Good for him, I say!
peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

maxr

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2016, 15:09 »
So a cone doesn't just mean 'sailing instructor on board' in Chichester, Peter?

For the trailering classes, there's a huge first class launching area at Ichenor with a fresh water washdown hose (and scrubbing posts for keelboats). I've notice interesting trailering situations developing there at other than slack water (fast tide), and it attracts queues of RIBs in the summer. There's now a cafe at Itchenor that does great coffee in comfort, a little out of the way at the old Southerly boartyard - follow the footpath towards East Head from Haines boatyard (near the foot ferry jetty), you'll walk onto the Southerly slip in 150 yards, the cafe is on the left, behind a bunch of laid up Southerlies conveniently placed to drool at.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2016, 16:11 »
The Harbour master is said to be keen on you showing the correct shapes and lights - including a cone if motor sailing.

Does he have a uniform?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2016, 17:30 »
Thanks Peter, it looks like I need to add a  cone and ball to the Christmas list......
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Peter Taylor

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2016, 07:42 »
Like Max, I was always taught that a yacht flying a cone was indicating that it was taking part in an RYA Sailing Course. 

However in the Solent lots of people motor sail (to beat the tide, get to the pub, etc.) and I wish they would show cones. Time and again I give way to a yacht pointing suspiciously high but which I can't be sure is using its motor. However the more serious aspect is that a few times, when under jib and mizzen, I've had to give way to another vessel even though I had right of way and they had clearly seen me. I can only assume they thought I was motor sailing.  I do try to hoist a cone if I'm motor sailing although I admit it is not always practicable, given that I'm single handed.

Apparently the Harbour master at Chichester makes a good income from fines (for not showing shapes) which goes towards the Chichester Conservancy. I'm on his side 'cause he taught me how to start my outboard - but that's another story!

Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

maxr

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2016, 14:25 »
Chichester Conservancy have at times fined speeding RIBS surprising amount - I remember something like £800?