Author Topic: Parking near Dover  (Read 2830 times)

Antjefokkema

Parking near Dover
« on: 25 Apr 2017, 16:44 »
What is a good place to stay the night around Dover travelling with my new BRe on the trailer? Especially a place where thtrailer can be safe and we can have a comfortable sleep?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Parking near Dover
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2017, 22:26 »
What time is your ferry?

When I've caught an early ferry, I've stayed with friends a long way out in the countryside about 30 miles (about 45 minutes) away.  Probably for the same reasons as you - Dover is not a particularly safe place to leave a valuable boat out on the streets overnight.

If you don't need to be too close to Dover, I can highly recommend this B&B in the Kent countryside, which has plenty of space to park your boat http://www.dadmans.co.uk.

Because of various problems in the Calais area, last year I changed my route and went with Stena Line overnight from Harwich to the Hook of Holland. It's possible to get from Cardigan to Harwich during the day in good time to catch the evening ferry.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Antjefokkema

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2017, 17:23 »
Thanks Graham, are the problems in Calais very bad? And is that also in Duinkerken?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2017, 18:49 »
The problems were bad last summer but I think have improved since the French government demolished the "Jungle" migrant camp just outside Calais. This is what we were trying to avoid http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-oxfordshire-36989463/lorry-driver-describes-calais-violence

We took the decision last summer that we didn't want to risk it but if we were going again this year (which we aren't), we might have gone via Eurotunnel.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Antjefokkema

« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2017, 10:17 »
Thanks, I did book the ferry Harwich-Hoek van Holland. The route in Holland is also 220km shorter, since we live in the north. Super sailingarea by the way.