Author Topic: 'Seacoat'.... and related matters  (Read 3575 times)

Michael Rogers

'Seacoat'.... and related matters
« on: 15 Aug 2017, 21:56 »
I raised this yonks ago, so thought I might do a fresh thread.

About 5 years ago, when I was at the painting-and-finishing stage of kit-building Cavatina (Trouper 12), a product called Seacoat appeared - actually in Water Craft, where it received a very favourable review from some varnish-etc expert. One-pot clear gloss coating. I decided to use it for Cavatina's spars, bench slats and the other (relatively few) bits of 'shiny hardwood'.

It's been absolutely brilliant, in every sense. Five seasons later, the spars need no attention at all. The bench slats - I and those sailing with me have been sliding our backsides up and down those year after year, and there is NO apparent wearing through. What there are, there and elsewhere, are little pale spots where tiny dints have breached the surface and allowed water to get through. Collectively they will need attention sometime fairly soon.

And there's the rub (excuse the sort-of-pun). About three years ago Seacoat suddenly disappeared. The web site where I bought it no longer functioned, the phone number I had wasn't answered (very friendly and helpful people they were to deal with, too). The only evidence I have that they ever existed is the superb finish on my boat.

There is an American company called Seacoat, who seem to do stealth-type coatings for the US navy and James Bond: I've asked and they deny any knowledge of the stuff I used. Has it been bought up to be suppressed? - stupid, because they would be onto a winner. In a small way, this is fertile ground for conspiracy theories! I scout around every now and then among the marine paint people, and none of them are marketing anything which is like the Seacoat I used.

I have benn  interrupted several times writing this bit, and am going to do a second instalment to avoid being timed out. Watch this very same space.....

Michael Rogers

Re: 'Seacoat'.... and related matters
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2017, 22:28 »
As I was saying.....

You will see what my practical problem is: if/when I have to re-coat, I have no idea what sort of coating Seacoat is, and whether I can use anything else on top of it. Probably not, in which case what's still on the boat will ALL have to come off before I use anything else...!!! I hate sanding.

It is all soooo infuriating because it is an absolutely brilliant product. WHAT HAPPENED TO IT??!!

If anyone has any bright ideas as to what I might do in the way of further detective work, please speak up! I even enlisted the help of Water Craft, where Seacoat appeared, but Pete Greenfield was as mystified as I am.
One smallish thing - during two (yes 2!) house moves during those past five years, I have perforce shed some of my back copies of Water Craft. If anyone else who subscribes has kept all of theirs, it might be interesting to dig out that review of Seacoat, just in case there's any information there which could help. Fat chance, probably.

The 'related matters' refers to something I was reading in 'Classic Sailor' (good mag, my dentist takes it and lends it to me. Less toffee-nosed than 'Classic Boat', which is for millionaires). An Aussie boat designer called John Quirk makes deliciously curvaceous dinghies out of 3.5mm marine ply: I don't understand how he does it, even after reading his article. However - for finishing, 1) he used three coats of 'UV resistant resin' (presumably epoxy?), which he says can be thinned with meths 'to make it as fluid as varnish'. 2) He covered this with 'water based clear polyurethane finish'.

I could try writing to him to ask, but has anyone any suggestions as to what those two finishes might be?

Thanks for listening (or whatever).

Michael R

Charles Scott

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2017, 17:34 »
Michael, there is a poduct called Sealcoat, a sanding sealer made by Zinsser and marketed in Uk by Tor Coatings in Co. Durham 01914106611, but I doubt if this is what you used as it is only for sealing wood before applying other finishes such as varnish.  I have used a product called Bond Seal clear, made by Bondaglass. You can slap it on coat after coat, wet on tacky, or wait for it to harden and then rub down before a final coat. It is easy to use and very quick drying. I used acetone for clean-up but I think meths would do it. I did not try thinning it, as it is quite runny anyway. I did a 9'6" clinker dinghy with one tin (1litre) and had a little to spare for the rowing thwart for my Bayraider 20. The finish is brilliantly glossy and seems very hard, though not difficult to rub down (wet and dry worked well). I have just dug out the tin and they say clean brushes in Bondacleaner (of course!), cellulose thinners or acetone.
   Hope that helps.
  Charles Scott-Knox-Gore

Charles.  GRP Bayraider20 no. 75.  "Augusta Thomasina"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2017, 10:13 »
Thanks, Charles, I'll follow that up.

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:50 »
There's a US company called Seacoat Technology LLP (http://www.seacoat.com/products.html) who make a thing called Nautique Seal - is that the stuff - to quote from the blurb:" Nautique Sealâ„¢ is a two pack 100% solids silane coating for Marine and salt laden environments."

Is this the stuff?
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2017, 16:19 »
Hi Rob

No, afraid not. That US set-up is the one I mentioned. They deny any knowledge of my Seacoat, which in any case was one-pack. (Conspiracy theory still lurks, hem-hem.)

I followed up Charles' suggestion of Bondseal Clear. I spoke to an affable bloke at Bondaglass-Voss, who knew nothing about my Seacoat (it DID exist, and it's on my boat!), but thought that Bondseal Clear would go over any clean rubbed-down surface. He probably would say that anyway, but I'll probably try it on something like the hardwood surround to the partners, and see what happens.