Author Topic: Swallow Yachts Raid 2018: 8th - 12th July, Mylor Harbour  (Read 16779 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Swallow Yachts have just announced the 2018 raid on Facebook, so one for the 2018 diary:

https://www.facebook.com/swallowyachts/photos/a.391911770821588.99982.391200070892758/1701735716505847/?type=3&theater
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Michael Rogers

Re: Swallow Yachts Raid 2018: 8th - 12th July, Mylor Harbour
« Reply #1 on: 03 Sep 2017, 15:38 »
Thanks for the dates-for-diary.

Cavatina, as those who have met her will understand, has had identity problems in the 'yacht' department: not surprising given her 12' LOA. However she is nothing if not game. Therefore, everything else being equal in the meantime, she plans to apply for the post of Fleet Mascot for the 2018 Raid. She will join in as she can, not get in the way or be a nuisance, and generally promises to (try to) be good.

Looking forward to it!

Michael R

John Perry

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2017, 15:21 »
There _may_ be a Pictish raid from Morayshire, if I can figure out the logistics of a 1,400 mile round trip. The intent is present, I just need to wrapper this up in a major south-west incursion… Date is in the diary  :)
John,
Bay Raider Expedition 030, "Moireach"

BobT

« Reply #3 on: 02 Nov 2017, 13:54 »
No wedding this year so every intention of being there. Accommodation booked, just hope not tempting fate.
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

MarkDarley

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2017, 19:50 »
Mylor Raiders for 2018,

Just closing on the purchase of a BR20 epoxy ply boat as hoped, so see you all there.  This is the direct result of the great hospitality shown me at Mylor in 2017 by the entire fleet, Ray and Jill Scragg, and Graham W (the slave galley driver) in particular.

Fair winds,
Mark
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Charles Scott

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2017, 10:58 »
I am interested in this raid, but have no idea of the format, in particular, where is the centre of the operation and therefore where the best place to look for accommodation. Sail Caledonia sold out already, so I don't want to miss this one, and feel I should organise accommodation asap even though I gather Swallow Yachts are not taking entries until the New Year. Do all boats return to the same place each night? Any other useful information from old hands ?  Thank you anyone for any help.
   Charles Scott-Knox-Gore.
 Augusta Thomasina  BR 20
Charles.  GRP Bayraider20 no. 75.  "Augusta Thomasina"

Ray S

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2017, 18:01 »
MarkD,
Good to see you've gone for a Swallow; thanks for all the spinnaker tips last year - it was great fun - although must improve on Carrick Roads cross tidal navigation next year! 
Ray S
BRe 047 'Whimbrel'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2017, 18:04 »
Charles,

The raid uses Mylor Harbour as its base and runs races from there, returning to base each day.  So accommodation in that area is what you need.  There are plenty of b&b's in nearby Falmouth if you don't mind a short drive.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Ray S

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2017, 18:21 »
Charles,
Next year will be my third Mylor Raid. I have so far booked accommodation either at the Marina itself (see
https://www.mylor.com/ ) or last year in a cottage at nearby Mylor Bridge. There is usually the option of camping at the marina.  We return to base each night where there is supper and prizegiving etc.  Breakfasts provided too if wished.  You will see the options on the booking form. Sailing is usually a 'Raid' to a lunch spot such as Restronget via Malpas or St. Just or Helford followed by usually a shorter raid in the afternoon.  The trips obviously optimised to suit tidal and weather conditions.

Ray S
BRe 047 Whimbrel

Charles Scott

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2017, 22:21 »
Thank you Graham and Ray. That is all very helpful. Hope to see you there in July.
   Charles Scott-Knox-Gore
Charles.  GRP Bayraider20 no. 75.  "Augusta Thomasina"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2018, 18:22 »
Is this Mylor event still happening? In which case it has just dawned on me that the bookings etc may have been going on via Facebook, without further (cross) reference at least to this Forum, which is a pity for those of us (or am I the only one?) not in hock to the personal-information peddlers.

Could someone clarify please?

Michael R

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2018, 21:27 »
I've not seen anything on Facebook...
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Peter Taylor

« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2018, 07:14 »
A week or so ago I was in contact with Lara who was about to have a electronic type meeting (skype) with Nick and Helen re arrangements for the Raid so yes, I understand that it is still happening but no, I have not heard anything more! However the dates were fixed so people could arrange accommodation.

Peter

ps Michael, you are not alone - ever since I read the Facebook T&C's I have been resisting being forced to join that dubious organisation by those who use it to circulate information (which includes the BBC!).
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Lara

« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2018, 15:11 »
Hello everyone

After much waiting around for various organisations to come back to me with prices for catering/marina fees etc (and much chasing up by me!) we have the details finalised - thanks for your patience! 

The Swallow Yachts 2018 Raid will take place in Mylor from Sunday 8th July - Thursday 12th July

Castaways will once again be hosting us for fabulous evening meals and (for those who want it) a slap up breakfast to set you up for a day on the water. Picnic lunches are included, as is a full cream tea at the waterside Pandora Inn.

You can organise your own accommodation, you can stay on board your boat or you can book a pitch in our dedicated campsite situated just a couple of hundred metres along the foreshore from the marina.

Entry Fees
Entry fee per boat £275 - this includes marina fees, trailer and car parking at the marina.
Catering fee per head £90 - this covers lunch (Mon-Wed), dinner at Castaways (Sun-Wed), cream tea and après sail drinks each day
Breakfast fee per head £34 - a delicious cooked breakfast at Castaways (Mon-Thu)
Camping per pitch £90 (only 12 pitches available)
Charts are available to purchase from us at cost (£15) at the time of booking
Swallow polo shirts and hoodie jumpers personalised with your boat name are also available

To reserve your place on the Swallow Yachts Raid 2018, please email us at events@swallowyachts.com to request a booking form. Completed booking forms and a £100 deposit are required by 25 May to confirm your place at this year's Raid.  I've submitted an Event to be posted on the forum so everyone should see that shortly.

We look forward to seeing you!

Helen and Chris

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2018, 18:03 »
Raid bookings are coming in thick and fast!

We already have 13 boats confirmed, and 7 of the 12 campsite pitches have been reserved.

Hope to see you all in Mylor!

Helen