Author Topic: Fuel Tanks  (Read 3127 times)

BobT

Fuel Tanks
« on: 04 Dec 2017, 21:31 »
Up to now I have only needed to use my 4hp Yamaha for short periods so the small internal tank has been fine and I have a spare 5L container on board.  However next season it is looking as if I might be needing the engine for longer so an external tank is on the cards. The smallest I have seen is a 12 L Hulk tank that looks good value (£20).  Are there any smaller tanks say between 5 and 10 L?
As we are now into December I will risk wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and hopefully catch up with many of you in 2018. 
Cheers
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

DavidBotterill

Re: Fuel Tanks
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2018, 23:44 »
Hello Bob, How are you getting on with the fuel tank installation? Im just about to start as part of 2018 fitting out. I also have a Yamaha 4hp. My boat came with an uninstalled 12 litre Suzuki tank. I am thinking of putting it in the starboard side locker, as the fuel line will be about 1 meter to the outboard and the tank fits snuggly. What did you purchase and where will you locate it?

David

BobT

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2018, 17:12 »
Hi Dave,

I have been away a while so have only just progressed with this.  Fortunately I found an old but still very serviceable Yamaha 12L fuel tank in my Dad's shed which fits nicely in the port locker, fuel connector is on front port side of engine.  Because on the shape of the locker I have levelled the tank with a block of polystyrene. I have drilled a 12mm hole for the fuel line (10mm) in the locker. I did buy some rubber grommets but the fibreglass was too thick for them to fit. I may just silicon the fuel line in the hole.
Given I now have potentially and extra 12kg in the port locker I think I may need to repack my lockers to redistribute the weight as I also have my anchor on that side.  I am also wondering if I should look to move it as far forward in the locker as the fuel line will allow. Comments anyone?

Cheers,
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2018, 19:19 »
Bob

You might want to think about a couple of vents in the locker, with the seat down the lockers can be well sealed and potential for petrol fumes build up. I have put two in my locker front panel.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

BobT

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2018, 09:14 »
Thanks Peter good point. Any suggestion as to size, number (OK you suggest 2) and location?
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2018, 07:51 »
Bob

I put one (3 inch ) vent either side of the locker inboard panel to aid ventilation. They are round vents with mesh to keep bugs out and I think I bought them from a local Range store. Petrol fumes are heavier than air so as low as possible in the vertical panel of the locker seat/lid.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard