Author Topic: Outboard engine HP  (Read 4255 times)

Al Beckhelling

Outboard engine HP
« on: 16 Apr 2018, 12:06 »
Hi all;
My wife Jill and I are now the proud owners of a New BC23 (sail No 53) which we took for a blast on the Solent on Sun 15th (caught on camera by Peter Taylor when recovering at Calshot).

Have a question regarding our outboard. We currently use a 6HP Mercury which I could sell with our old boat (ideal size) which leaves us free to upsize. An owner suggested using a 8HP which, as a twin cylinder) would be quieter and potentially smoother running.  Appreciate anyone's thought on this as  the 8HP would cost more and weigh 13kg more but if it runs better, especially at slow/idle speeds, would it be a good upgrade?

Cheers all; hopefully meet/speak to you at the Raid.

Al

mrcjackson

Re: Outboard engine HP
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2018, 22:16 »
I have a Yamaha 9.9 on my BC23 and find it very quiet. It is a little heavy but not too heavy to handle. Chris

Al Beckhelling

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2018, 12:37 »
Hi Chris; sorry for delay in replying.  Done the deed now (was a great offer, even if boat doesn't really need that much power).  Was more concerned about that extra 13kg stuck on the back of the boat but overall, think it will be worth it,  If we ever get to the Scilly Isles, may be thankful of that motor.  Al

Andy Dingle

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2018, 12:32 »

Interesting topic that caught my eye as I too had been thinking of a two cyl 8 hp outboard for my BC23 some months ago.

This weekend's cruise was against about 2 - 3 kn tide and of course the wind was on the nose and very light in the region of 5 kn. (Bad planning? Probably!). Sail/motoring was the only option if we wanted to get where we wanted. (See pic attached - extreme creek crawling!)
The mercury 6 was fine - and, surprisingly very economical - making 2-3 kn against the tide.

But I couldn't help wondering if an 8 would be more powerful, smoother and a bit quieter - not that there was an issue...  but you know how you wonder about 'what if's'..

Referring to another post - the return trip was again against wind and tide, but with about 12 plus kn of wind we could beat at about 4 - 5  kn (gps), so doing I reckon about 6 kn through the water, maybe a touch more ..  cracking sail, 'til the wind died away about a mile or so short and we started beating backwards! On went the mercury again ...!

Anyway, would be interesting to hear how you get on with your 8 hp, 2 cyl..?

Andy and Equinox ..

Al Beckhelling

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2018, 18:24 »
Hi Andy; the idea of a 2 cl outboard came from Dudley and then came an opportunity (had to sell my 6hp with old boat & a cracking deal on a new 9.9) so i went for it.  The 9.9 and 8 are the same engine, just set-up differently. My only concern is the extra weight at the back of the boat.  Trying it out for the first time this w/e and if the bow points to the sky (you know i really mean if the transom sits deep and drags) will sell it on and go back to a 6.
Will let you know.
p.s. think Dudley planted this seed to make me go slower!  :D

Andy Dingle

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2018, 09:07 »

Thanks Al.. I'd be definitely interested in how it works ..

Personally I don't think it would make that much difference? - I find that the favourite helming position, especially in light, sunny conditions is sitting right back leaning on the traveller, feet up on the seats and even size xxl crew (!) don't seem to make any difference, in fact, one friend of mine regularly sits right back on the rear coaming quarters and it doesn't push the transom down at all.
How about dumping 10 litres (10 kg) of ballast water to compensate ?!

Andy and Equinox..

ps Just heading out now into glorious sunshine, very light winds and spring tides ..  can see another day of rattling around with Freddy (apologies to Rob!)

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2018, 20:05 »
Thanks Andy - that's the trouble with naming things - they stick. Riff Raff has another Freddy too! Definitely not Freddy 2. We couldn't get out this weekend - family commitments and all that - I hope to see the sea again later in the week.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Al Beckhelling

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2018, 13:15 »
Hi all.
My good Lady and myself did manage to get out over the weekend and what a good one it was (sorry, not trying to rub it in to those that couldn't). 
First trip with new Engine (Mercury 9.9) - good, bad or indifferent:
1. as Andy says, the weight on the boat doesn't seem to matter and storing all your kit (clothing, water, kitchen sink etc) as forward as poss will help balance out the extra 13kg at the back (compared to a 6HP).
2. very noticeable was how easy it started, 3 weeks after the delivery inspection; small amount of choke, one easy pull of the cord it and it ran smoothly and very quietly, compared to a 6HP.
3. Manoeuvring was so much easier as full control (neutral, fwd, rev) is all on its tiller. It also ran smoothly, in gear at idle.  This gave me a lot of confidence, especially when I had to turn around in a confined space in a Marina basin; loved it.
4. Having the boat run toward a berth at 1.5 kts whilst at idle, then rotate to neutral for last few yards and then rotate into reverse a quick blip to stop all movement was pure joy.
5. These engines are probably far more powerful than required for the boat, but if motoring against wind and big tidal currents (Solent) this or the 8HP comes into its own.  The 9.9 and 8HP engines are the same by the way, just tuned different.
These engines are a lot more expensive this year than a 6Hp so if considering one, shop around for one the retailer bought under last years pricing. I was offered one and saved £400+, hence persuaded me to go for it.

Andy Dingle

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2018, 09:25 »
Thanks for the update Al.

That all does sound very positive. You don't say what make your new engine is? Is it the Merc?
The way you describe the throttle/gear set up sounds like it?

Engine's have always been a source of discussion on this forum for all the Swallow Boats - now Yachts. I have always been banging on about the importance (in my own opinion) of a good reliable and suitably powerful engine with gears, those dinky 'swing-it-round-to-reverse' motors should be banned on anything bigger than an inflatable dinghy! But of course it all does depends on so many variables so I'll say no more on that! (As for electric ..  Criminal!)

But what I do know about is motoring into the serious tides that are common around our coast line where, unless you have time to drop the hook and wait for the tide, then a good engine is essential. Even Matt's new 'Coast' range is geared around this very issue.

I'm actually now searching for a larger, heavier replacement for (or in addition to) 'Equinox' for more extended cruising, incl a leisurely 'round Britain' cruise (any suggestions on yacht type/make etc please chaps?), otherwise I would be making this change too.

Andy and Equinox (BC23)

Al Beckhelling

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2018, 18:48 »
You are correct Andy in thinking it a Mercury.  As said, i wasn't sure i'd made the right decision (due to physical handling weight and increased weight at back of boat) but once i'd used it - wouldn't go smaller. In addition to the weight, and of course price, it does have one small issue once installed:
when raised from the in-use position, the throttle handle won't swing up and out of the way. The best one can do is to swing the engine to one side allowing the throttle handle to fold down as far as possible, which is against the join of the cockpit sole and the locker. Haven't found this an issue as yet though. So far, the pro's out-way the cons.
Will take / add a few pics when able to get down again.
Cheers

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2018, 21:53 »
Out in Riff Raff on Thursday, becalmed in a flat sea at slack water, Freddie 2 (Mercury 6) was give her head. Full throttle, Riff Raff achieved 5.75 kn (SOG) when pointed West and the same when pointed East, so I think that's the "official" top speed on that engine.

By the way, that's with a "sail boat" prop, not the standard one fitted to the engine if used on a rib and using bog standard Tesco unleaded. And the main sail was up, sheeted in tight.

Cutting back to half throttle reduced the speed to 5.5 kn, the noise down lots of decibels and, I suspect, much better fuel consumption.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"