Author Topic: Suitable launch sites for exploring the Small Isles area  (Read 2977 times)

Chris and Sandra

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had experience of sailing this area [ the bit between Ardnamurchan and Skye] in Swallows? First concerns obviously is it possible to launch and leave car/trailer in the region. The sailing clearly rather dependent on weather and tide I suspect.

regards

Chris and Sandra

Sea Simon

Re: Suitable launch sites for exploring the Small Isles area
« Reply #1 on: 03 Sep 2018, 13:50 »
I have experience of several weeks of marine operations in this area, but not in my Swallow...rather larger commercial stuff.
We were working off the beach at Sanna for some of the time. Visited several sites ashore on N side of Ardnamurchan  both by road (Ft William > 2hrs, probably closer to 3hrs if towing!) and by sea.
It is isolated! REALLY ISOLATED!

I don't recall any slipways on N shore, but the locals launched swallow-size boats off various beaches; Beau Fascadale, I think? Suspect you need a very good 4x4 (preferably a tractor?), and local contacts though?
I recall several slipways on S side, probably at Kilchoan, where the ferry lands; however Ardnamurchan point, where the light house is, is perhaps not somewhere I'd want to visit in my Swallow in anything other than ideal conditions. Very few places to land, let alone run to shelter.

Absolutely stunningly beautiful area (and no midges the summer I was there) - but then you probably don't need me to tell you that! We were regularly visited by Dolphins/porpoises, whales, sea otters and even several sea eagles were seen fishing.
Crystal clear water, sometimes to > 30ft depth, white sand etc...

N coast here can quickly become very exposed, with very few places to shelter on main land side. We ran over to the lee of Eigg a few times I recall?

We worked out of Mallaig on a daily basis, using a fast crew boat; still a long trip.
Mallaig itself not recommended, for many reasons that I will not go in to on public forum. However, it is after all mainly a ferry port...a good base, a place to set off from perhaps? Certainly accessible slips and parking etc there but I recall regularly getting fleeced by various locals for dubious "services" (and I'm from Cornwall, so am used to that approach to visitors!).

Added.
I do know Armadale, on Skye itself. The opposite end of the Mallaig ferry, is very nice and has slipways , sheltered small craft moorings etc.

Maybe a local will be along to help in a minute? Or maybe try the Drascombe forum? I think they have a lot of knowledge of this area.

Hope this is of some help?
Where are you based normally?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Chris and Sandra

« Reply #2 on: 06 Sep 2018, 23:58 »
Hi,
Thanks for such a detailed reply. Harbour office at Mallaig very welcoming over the phone and seemed  to feel launching there and leaving car and trailer would be OK. Have friends renovating a holiday house near Armadale ; so that may all work. Weather looking a bit debatable though.
We are based near Stranraer meaning a full days drive.

regards, Chris and Sandra

mark1

« Reply #3 on: 07 Sep 2018, 09:01 »
I think Mallaig is a good option, the slipway is wide, and plenty parking along the harbour front (not sure if you'd have to take the trailer off the car to get in though).
shallow draught boats have the advantage at a few spots around there, the lagoon in the north of Soay is one, also at Galmisdale on Eigg you've a much more sheltered option than deeper draught boats. Loch Nevis could be an option if it's blowy but can be pretty squally.

Hope you've a great trip!

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2018, 18:39 »
You could try Ardvasar, near Armadale on Skye, or Arisaig, on the mailand about 10 miles south of Mallaig. The latter has a slip and room to park. Also a large harbour pool in which to sail and an interesting entrance/exit to the Minch!
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"