Author Topic: Semaine du Golfe Morbihan 2019  (Read 3180 times)

Anthony Huggett

Semaine du Golfe Morbihan 2019
« on: 04 Oct 2018, 19:53 »
I've registered Emily (BR17) for Morbihan 2019, but they've put her in fleet 2.

Which fleet do the BR20's normally go in?

I thought it was 3bis but that seems to be for sleep aboard boats according to the website.

Can anyone who has been before advise, please?

Anthony

Peter Cockerton

Re: Semaine du Golfe Morbihan 2019
« Reply #1 on: 05 Oct 2018, 13:54 »
Anthony

On the two occasions I have been to Morbihan my BR20 was in the 3 bis fleet.
Look into where the fleet home base is to see if it suits you for you accommodation, also look at the planned route for the week for that fleet. They plan the routes taken to take into account the suitability for different craft and likely conditions to be met in the Gulf, this obviously changes on the prevailing conditions.

Everybody meets for the party on Ile-de'arz and Vannes and of course the Great Parade
I particularly liked the river trip up to Auray. which not all fleets go to.

Don’t forget to wait for the discount to be announced by the organisers for 20% off you Brittany ferry crossing.

If you would like any more info please PM me.

Peter Cockerton
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #2 on: 09 Oct 2018, 10:55 »
Peter,
      Thanks for that. I should have said we went in 2017 in Fleet 2, but found we were a bit quicker than average and so spent a lot of time waiting.

I was initially put off 3bis because it says couchage a bord, which is sleeping on board. However I understand 3 bis has a campsite and we are not expected to camp on the boat. Is this correct?

Anthony

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2018, 08:33 »
Anthony

Best send admin an email to clarify this, on both occasions our home port was Lamor Bardon so we rented a property nearby, when the days sailing resulted in stopping over at a different port transport was put on to get crew back to LB and also to return in the morning. In our party we had two cars available so we sorted ourselves out. The transport they provide uses the camp site near LB as the bus stop and does not go into LB. it may well be next year that 3 bis boats crew are expected to provide overnight facilities and they are not laying on transport.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Geoff Probert

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2018, 17:03 »
Anthony,

Bay Raiders are normally allocated to Flotille 3bis nowadays.   Because of the sheer number of BR20s they opened up this new Flotille some years ago.  I always register "Molly" for that fleet as most of the people that I know with BR20s are in it.  You're right about the official description but for the last few editions there have been a lot of open boats in it.  Previous to that we were once with the Yoles in Fleet 1, but it seemed to have too much rowing and hardly any sailing.  Fleet 2 (Sail and Oar) looked promising but is for boats 3-5m in length. Fleet 3 was designed for 5/6m boats and the BR20s seemed too quick for most of the rest of the fleet so the Organisers now shove them all into 3bis.
"Emily" would be fine in fleet 2, 3 or 3bis but all the BR20 owners will likely be in 3bis.
There is a campsite for fleet 3bis.

Hope this helps
Geoff