Author Topic: Appledore / Lundy, weekend trip in April or May?  (Read 4073 times)

charliea

Note - I've renamed this thread, the title originally mentioned September but we missed that

Would anyone be interested in a weekend trip to Lundy one weekend this September?

It feels a bit too exposed to do by ourselves but I'm keen to give it a go in company if the weather looks favourable.

Charlie

charliea

Re: Appledore / Lundy, weekend trip in September?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2019, 12:12 »
The weekend after next (21st / 22nd Sept) is a neap tide in the Bristol Channel. I'll be keeping an eye on the forecast and hoping for a nice South Westerly as it draws closer.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gchejg6jb

Let me know if you're interested.

Charlie

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2019, 05:39 »
Did it happen?  The weather didn’t look too good that weekend.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

charliea

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2019, 08:19 »
Morning Graham

Sadly not, the weather was looking poor so I gave it a miss. From memory I think it was NE forecast, which would have meant an uncomfortable Saturday night at anchor as there's only shelter from the West.

So it's high on my list of objectives for next year. I'll be looking for a suitable combination of neap tides and SW wind.

Are you interested?

Charlie

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 02 Oct 2019, 09:11 »
Charlie,

I love Lundy, having been there many times on a paddle steamer as a boy. I live across the other side of the country but if the weather looks certain enough (as if it ever is in N Devon!), then I would be interested.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 01 Nov 2019, 23:20 »
There was a series of short programmes about Lundy on BBC Radio 4 Extra all this week, presented by writer and poet Gwyneth Lewis.  You can still hear it on catch-up on the execrable BBC Sounds app.

Up to violent storm force 11 is forecast for sea area Lundy for early tomorrow morning, moving westwards along the south coast during the day.
Graham

charliea

« Reply #6 on: 04 Nov 2019, 21:43 »
The title of this thread is now way out of date but Lundy is firmly on the hit list for next year.

The following dates are all on or close to neap tides. I'm planning to try and keep the family calendar free and make the trip on the first opportunity when the forecast seems favourable.

Fri 3rd / Sat 4th April
Wed 15th / Thurs 16th April
Fri 1st / Sat 2nd May
Fri 15th / Sat 16th May

I'll add another note to this thread in March sometime in case anyone's interested in joining us.

Charlie

Ged

« Reply #7 on: 05 Nov 2019, 15:50 »
I'd be interested, although Peewit will be much slower than Bayraiders.
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Julian Merson

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2019, 12:37 »
Definitely interested if it ends up being either of the first two dates listed.

Where would you launch from?  Is there appropriate parking for car/trailer?
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

charliea

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2019, 16:01 »
Hi Julian

There's a public slipway at Appledore at the mouth of the River Torridge. I haven't used it before and the Torridge Council website is offline at the moment, but there's a post from Roger Barnes on the Dinghy Cruising Forum that suggests it has parking and is ok at low tide.

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/South-West-Rally-24-25-September-LUNDY-and-CLOVELLY-tp591.html

There are a few of us interested so I'll pull together whatever info I can find and post again in March sometime.