Author Topic: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS  (Read 2418 times)

JOD

SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS
« on: 15 Nov 2019, 22:11 »
I am looking forward to trying out the overnight opportunities of my BR 20 next year so was interested in the information provided by members on the arrangements for extending the in-fill. The slats seem to be the best arrangement but can anyone give me a little more detail from their experience; what wood, what dimensions and how did you attach the slats together?
JOD

charliea

Re: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2019, 14:58 »
Hi Jod

I considered ordering the slatted platform from Swallow or possibly trying to make something similar but in the end decided against either option.

My concern was that the slats would work fine when we were lying down in our sleeping bags, but might flex too much to stay in place if we were kneeling or shuffling around on the platform and had our weight on just one or two of the slats.

I've never actually seen one of the slatted platforms so don't know whether this is a serious concern but I decided to make a solid platform of 18mm plywood.

Cut to size and then routed to round the edges, it was very simple to make. It's 3 years old and is lasting well. We're careful not to stand on it but sitting or kneeling on a single section seems fine.

Made up of 7 sections. It's quite heavy but stows away fairly well in the cuddy during the day.

When the cockpit tent is up we often put down just two sections in the stern to create a larger area to cook on.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2019, 18:06 »
Here’s the thread from earlier in the year with all sorts of possible solutions https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,1844.msg12256.html#msg12256
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III