Author Topic: BRE Mk2 Jib replacement.  (Read 2620 times)

Stratocruiser

BRE Mk2 Jib replacement.
« on: 06 Jan 2020, 10:40 »
I acquired a four year old BRE 'Kingfisher,' in June last year. Last September the Hyde jib unfurled itself whilst the boat was on its mooring in the Frome river and ripped. I had a quote for repair from Kemp sails but as there was evidence of rot as a result of UV damage I thought a new sail was a better option. Quay sails confirmed that it was really beyond repair but what surprised me was that it was only four years old. Has anyone else had a sail rot in this time span? Is it possible that the sail could have been furled with the UV strip on the wrong side so that the sail wasn't protected from sunlight? My boat is in storage elsewhere now with the sails off so I can't check.

Should I buy a replacement Hyde sail, as that is what Swallow Yachts supply as standard or buy a new jib locally? Not much in it as far as cost is concerned. Your comments appreciated, thank you.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: BRE Mk2 Jib replacement.
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jan 2020, 12:25 »
Is it possible that the sail could have been furled with the UV strip on the wrong side so that the sail wasn't protected from sunlight?

That’s entirely possible.  My original Dolphin sails didn’t have UV protection, so when the time came to replace them with much more robust Hyde sails, it was a while before I realised that I was furling both the jib and mizzen the wrong way round.  The clue to UV damage will be a paler strip down the leech of the sail, on the opposite side to the UV strip.

Should I buy a replacement Hyde sail, as that is what Swallow Yachts supply as standard or buy a new jib locally?

Hyde sails are pretty strong and if correctly treated should last a good long time.  They’re made in the Philippines, which is how they stay cost competitive.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Stratocruiser

Re: BRE Mk2 Jib replacement.
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jan 2020, 19:29 »
Thanks Graham, that is helpful. I will probably get a Bay Cruiser 23 in a year or so, so perhaps having Hyde sails all round might be good from a resale point of view? (or should that be resail?!)