Author Topic: Lake District Ullswater 2020  (Read 11773 times)

Matthew P

Lake District Ullswater 2020
« on: 06 Feb 2020, 09:39 »
Once again Glenridding Sailing Centre (GSC) has kindly agreed to host our meeting, this time for 10th-12th July.

To avoid repetition of information that tends to get buried at the end of these strings, please see "Ullswater" in the Blog section.

GSC are providing parking, launching/recovery, changing rooms and a warm welcome Friday to Monday.  If you are attending then please let me know on this forum or messages and book yourself and boat directly with GSC at:

Pete at Glenridding Sailing & Activity Centre

Tel: 017684 82541
info@glenriddingsailingcentre.co.uk

www.glenriddingsailingcentre. co.uk

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Lake District Ullswater 2020
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2020, 13:51 »
Matthew,

I’ll be there with Turaco.

I couldn’t find the Ullswater post in the blog section but re-read there the excellent account of your Scandi voyage with Bill.  I eventually chased the Ullswater post down but I’m not at all sure how I did it or where it’s filed.  If anyone else is having similar difficulties, here’s the link https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=1645
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

TimLM

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2020, 14:47 »
Hi Matthew, I'm also coming this time with Papagena, hopefully we'll have more wind this year, Tim
Tim Le Mare
BRe 064 Gaff Cutter Ketch
Papagena

R and J

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2020, 19:25 »
Hello Mathew P,
We are Rufus and Jane. We are hopefully taking delivery of a BayRaider Expedition. Trusting that this will happen in time we intend to attend Ullswater meet this year. We were there last year on the Friday enquiring about Swallow Yachts. John, Tim, Mark and Andrew may remember us. We asked a lot of questions We will contact Glenridding separately.

This question may be in the wrong place, this is our first visit to the site. However, is there a preferred insurer we should contact? We recently used Navigators and General but it was a very different boat.

John E

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2020, 11:21 »
Hi Mathew
We are planning to be in the lake district for the 2 weeks before the 11th and 12th so will move to Ullswater on the Tuesday be at Glenridding from the Tuesday 7th and see you at the weekend with Windlass.

John
BR20 Windlass

Ape Ears

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2020, 15:33 »
Hi Rufus and Jane,

Welcome to the forum. I am really glad that you are taking the plunge and acquiring a BayRaider Expedition. Are we going to split the commission with John, Tim and Mark?

I look forward to meeting up again and reminiscing about old times. I aim to be up at Ullswater too.

You may wish to get a quote for insurance from Noble Marine. ‘CraiC’ has the same premium as the BayRaiders, which is fairly reasonable.

Kind regards,
Andrew
Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'
BayRaider Expedition No123 'Apus' (Swift)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2020, 21:33 »
You may wish to get a quote for insurance from Noble Marine.

+1
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

R and J

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2020, 20:25 »
Thank you Andrew

So you remember us!

We kind of hope acquiring a BayRaider Expedition won’t involve a plunge but you never know. Dry-suits?

We will contact Noble Marine for a price.

See you at Ullswater

R and J

Tim S

« Reply #8 on: 06 Mar 2020, 11:48 »
Hi Mathew,

Sue and I hoping to be there. Planning to arrive on the 9th and thinking of staying a few days after the weekend.

Tim
BR17 Seagoon

Matthew P

« Reply #9 on: 08 Mar 2020, 21:36 »
Now 7 boats: 1 X BR17, 3 X  BR20, 2 X BRe and 1 X Searaider and room for more.  :)

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Helen and Chris

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2020, 20:56 »
Hi Matthew,

We thought we might try and join you on Ullswater this year but the dates are getting very close - are you still hoping to be able to go ahead or have you had any thoughts about postponing??

Best wishes,

Helen
BRe Skylark

Matthew P

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2020, 21:31 »
Hi Helen, Chris and other Ullswater hopefuls,

With luck we can meet on 10th-12th July.  It would be great to have Skylark join us. 

I spoke to Glenridding Sailing Center recently.  Launching may be possible but shore facilities will probably be limited to basics.  Camping, B&B etc have not yet been released from shut-down but at least some of us can "commute" from home or find other solutions within the rules.

The number of boats permitted might be limited. If so, I'll have to prioritise in the order in which people expressed an interest.  So far the list is:

BR20 Gladys
BRe Papagena
BRe R and J
BR20 Windlass
Searaider Craic
BR17 Seagoon
BR20 Askari
Bre Skylark

If any of these boats will not be coming please let me know asap so new boats can join the party.  If anyone wants to be added, please let me know - first come first served.

I'll post updates.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

John E

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2020, 19:12 »
Matthew

Hi its Windlass is still hoping to attend but if restrictions on campsites are not lifted it will be too far for us to commute.

I have phoned Ullswater sailing centre and e-mailed several times since February but no response . let’s wait and see what the next step is in opening up the lockdown.

I hope you have been able to get out on the water over the past 5 weeks, we have had quite a few days out on the Solent.

John
BR20 Windlass #1

Matthew P

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2020, 19:30 »
Today I spoke to Pete the Glenridding Sailing Center (GSC) manager.  Pete says GSC is open for boat self-launching at weekends only at the moment and shore facilities are restricted to a single loo and no rescue boat.  See GSC website Covid page https://www.glenriddingsailingcentre.co.uk/covid-19-gsc-updates-and-annoucements/ for current information.

Although camping is not yet permitted, and strictly policed, "there is talk" that hotels will be open at the beginning of July - if so then it seems logical that camping should be permitted too.   

Organised gatherings are not permitted so I will simply say I still intend to go 10th-12th July and "commute" from home (Chester) if necessary.  I may choose to leave Gladys at GSC and go back for another weekend later in July.

If anyone else wants to launch on any upcoming weekend from Glenridding Sailing Center, then that is between them and GSC and they should book direct with Pete at:

Glenridding Sailing & Activity Centre
Tel: 017684 82541
info@glenriddingsailingcentre.co.uk
www.glenriddingsailingcentre. co.uk

Matthew
Gladys BR20 #23

John E

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jun 2020, 18:20 »
Matthew
Finally, I managed to speak with Pete yesterday and have confirmed my arrangements with him.
We have booked a cottage for a couple of weeks and will be sailing out of Glenridding from 5th July through to 13th July, see you on the 10th.

John
Bayraider 20 #1