Author Topic: Reefing Systems for a Gunter Rigged BR20  (Read 9298 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Reefing Systems for a Gunter Rigged BR20
« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2020, 19:08 »
Does anyone have a clever idea about what to do with the tail end of a modified jib outhaul on a BR20?  Jonathan’s BRe modification has it leading over the top of the cabin roof into a rope clutch.  The BR20 doesn’t have a roof and its spray hood would be in the way of similar positioning.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2020, 21:37 »
Graham

This is my attempt to get the main halyard and the topping lift into the cockpit so I can drop the main without dropping the spray hood. I have routed the lines round a block secured at the bottom of the tabernacle and then through the small cutout in the spray hood. Yes the lines do rub a little on the spray hood and I will need to put some protectors on the coming but so far in garden sailing it does work. If the spray hood does show rubbing wear i will get it slightly modified to resolve it.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2020, 15:17 »
If it helps Graham this is how the yard routed my jib drum line to support reefing and furling without dropping the spray hood
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2020, 15:49 »
Clever!

I've just tried something a bit similar, using low friction eyes on strops, existing bullseye fairleads and jamming cleats (to avoid drilling any more holes).  The results were disappointing.  I don't know whether I've got too much friction in the experimental BRe type system but I found it much easier to get the back of the jib boom off the deck with the existing jib outhaul, without the benefit of mechanical advantage.

Back to the drawing board.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 07 Dec 2020, 10:41 »
I'm going to have a go at slab reefing the aft part of my gunter-rigged mainsail, using this and subsequent postings as a guide https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,821.msg5030.html#msg5030.

Having read up on the subject (well, what else is there to do?), it seems that the reefing lines should be on the starboard side of the boom, so that you're on a starboard tack while you're fiddling about;  and the lines should be led forward to cleats near the mast.  The problem with my current system of hooking and unhooking the cringles at the aft end of the boom is that if you forget to pull in the mainsheet, you may find yourself catapulted over the side.

There was a complaint somewhere on the forum that reefing often resulted in dangling string misery.  I don't know how well it would work on a gunter BR20 but I came across a 1990's idea by Roger Barnes reprinted here http://www.woodenboat.org.au/index.php/newsletters/highlights-from-the-log/30-rogers-reefing-refinement.
Graham