Author Topic: Stack Pack and lazy Jack Lines  (Read 2342 times)

Peter Cockerton

Stack Pack and lazy Jack Lines
« on: 25 Apr 2020, 15:11 »
 The yard only fit one bit of string each side of the stack pack to form the lazy jack element of the arrangement,  I feel at least one more would support the stack pack better and not put so much strain on two of the 6 cringles which are fitted each side of the stack pack.
The length of string is passed through a spring hook which has a line attached to pull it up towards the hounds to raise the sides of the stack pack. I would like to hear if others think this could be improved on and if so how they have gone about it.

Thanks

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Peter Taylor

Re: Stack Pack and lazy Jack Lines
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2020, 16:08 »
Hi Peter,
On my BC20 the original arrangement sounds like what you have (photo of side view of boat from water). I modified it by inserting another triangle (photo looking down on boat from jetty). I was afraid that the lazy jacks would not hold the lowered sail so well but I've not had a problem. Furthermore it makes the sail easier to set because the sail battens don't catch on the lazy jack lines so easily.

Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2020, 19:22 »
Peter

That’s better, you seem to be using the 1st 3rd and 5th cringle on the stack pack and it looks well supported. The first triangle looks very high, the attaching arrangement isn’t shown but I take it’s the same spring hook idea. When not in use do you drop the high triangle down to detach the spring clip from the stack pack loop, how much line is required up the mast to allow this.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Peter Taylor

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2020, 07:12 »
Going from the mast (M) there's a cringle right at the start of the pack so at present the pattern (on my BC20) is:
M o     x    o    o    x    o    x    o
the x's are where the lines are attached. That's different from what's shown in the photo (taken when I first altered the lazyjacks)so at some point I must have moved the forward attachment of the lower triangle 1 cringle aft... don't remember when or why!

The same spring clips are used for each triangle so when the boom is not in place, as now, the top two clips have been detached and I've used a bit of rope to tie them down to the cabin roof to avoid "halyard rattle"(photo). The length of tail on the halyard will be different from your boat but putting in the extra triangle gives you more tail and I haven't shortened it.

When I go sailing I have to lower the mast to go under a bridge so the boom, sail pack, and bit of track with the sail sliders, all swing away from the mast whilst hanging on the lazyjacks and the topping lift - getting better support from the lazyjacks was my original reason for putting in the extra triangle.  Making it easier to hoist the sail was serendipity!
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk