Author Topic: Barton jib furling problem  (Read 9070 times)

Sea Simon

Re: Barton jib furling problem
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2020, 09:56 »
I have had mine part,. Maybe 3 years ago. Changed a damaged rope, and lubricated.
I don't recall it being difficult, perhaps the 40 is different?
Two small Allen grub screws to back off, on lower side of drum. They don't need to be removed, just eased back to remove their pinch and location effect.
The drum and spindle can then be split, easily by hand
I  may be wrong (afterr all my memory has failed me on this topic already!) I think the rope was not knotted, just "hooked over" into a Hole, like the rope on a strimmer, or the line on my fishing reel is.
The hole is in the central barrel of the drum, not on the side "flanges". Rope end then was
Sort of formed into a J hook, then the 4-5 wraps on the drum, that remain at full rope extension, will be enough to hold the rope to the drum. You could use a dab of superglue to get the rope end loaded if it slips?
This is a similar method to crane and some larger winch wires where the end of the wire is onky just tagged to the winch barrel. The wraps secure the rope, not the bitter end, which is designed to pull out in extraordinary circumstances.

I believe i do recall also the rope knot on the Barton, the Selden was nothing like that.

Sorry to hear about Selden difficulties. Bloody annoying when you've spent (what to us is) quite a bit of money!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2020, 10:20 »
Thanks Simon.  On the 30s, the securing point for the line is on the flange, not the drum, which would have been a better place to have it.

I’m astonished at Selden and their network for not knowing their own products.  Perhaps all the sensible techies are on furlough.  But there’s no excuse for not having written instructions, as the furler has been on the market since 2017.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2020, 14:05 »
Selden agents.
I've always found that AllSpars, Plymouth seem to know their stuff.
Across the staff they actively race a wide variety of boats. Theys service dinghies to super yachts.

https://shop.allspars.co.uk/

As you've found,  it's managing to get hold of the right person that counts.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.