Author Topic: Adjustable furler foot line  (Read 2513 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Adjustable furler foot line
« on: 24 May 2020, 12:50 »
My garden voyage with my foresails continues.

I would like to be able to swap bowsprit foresails from the cockpit.  Although I've done it on occasion, clambering out on to the end of the plank bowsprit while at sea to undo shackles is not a sensible option.  What I'd like to be able to do is to release some string from the cockpit which releases (but doesn't undo) the foot of the furler.  I can then pull it inboard, drop the halyard, change the sail (or just install an empty forestay on it) and then haul it back out to the end of the bowsprit again, ready for use.

Has anybody done this in a way that allows the foot of the furler to be firmly anchored and correctly oriented? I suspect that one of these might be part of the answer https://www.proboat.co.uk/item/13/86/938/Profurl-MXEvo-Blocks.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Adjustable furler foot line
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2020, 10:12 »
I think I’ve cracked it - photo below.  As suspected, that Wichard shackle block is useful for providing mechanical advantage and is long enough front to back to keep the furler in alignment when under tension.  As usual, a low friction eye or two also play a part.  I think that chafe may be a bit of a problem, so I’ll use shrink sleeve on some of the more vulnerable bits of string.

If I let go the Wichard line and the continuous furling line, plus the sheets, I can bring the furler into the cockpit quite easily.  Then drop the halyard to change the foresail. When done, re-tension the Wichard line, raise the halyard, re-attach the back of the furling line and sheet in and it’s done without too much risk of tangles (or falling overboard).  I think when solo this could only be done at anchor or when heaving to but it opens up all sorts of possibilities in fine conditions and when without access to dry land.

Just to clarify, if it all went pear-shaped at the very front for whatever reason, I still have my self-tacking jib holding up the mast.  I don't think that it would be feasible to enjoy the convenience of this Wichard arrangement on its own as the mast would probably end up in the cockpit, at speed.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Adjustable furler foot line
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2020, 12:25 »
The Karver furler, continuous line and anti torsion line in the photo above are for sale.  See the for sale and wanted section.
Graham