Author Topic: Virtual Mylor  (Read 3203 times)

Rob Johnstone

Virtual Mylor
« on: 26 Jun 2020, 10:54 »
HI everyone, the Sail Caledonia crew held a virtual Sail Caledonia a few weeks ago, with previous participants posting photos and anecdotes on a facebook page. The idea as to post the stuff relevant to the day of the event. So, if my reading of the diary is right, next Monday is launch day. Anybody want to post their recollections of arrival (or the journey) next Monday?
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Virtual Mylor
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2020, 09:05 »
I don't know why I find this photo funny, from Day 1 of the Mylor Raid in 2015.  Five blokes in a semi-circle discussing a misbehaving outboard.  Ethanol in the carburettor must have been involved somewhere.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2020, 07:40 »
I won’t forget Day 2 of the 2015 raid in a hurry. Here’s a full account of what happened and lessons learned https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,1170.msg8287.html#msg8287.  Turtler no.1 was Matt the Yard, which made it much less embarrassing when it also happened to me.

You can play spot the skipper in the photo below.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2020, 11:00 »
I think these photos were taken on Day 2 of the 2016 Raid.  Another one to remember, with Lara as crew.  Sudden squally conditions blew up coming back from the Truro River.  We didn't have time to get the mainsail down so that we could complete the course under jib and mizzen, Gladys being the only boat to manage it.  We stopped short at the Mylor moorings, got the sails down and tried to motor the short distance back to the marina.  The Torqeedo battery ran out and we were left clinging to a Cornish Shrimper on its mooring.  Thankfully the rescue boat quickly realised that we were missing and came back to collect us.

Graham

MarkDarley

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2020, 13:19 »
Graham,
These photos explain why you no longer feel the need for oars!
Mark
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

MarkDarley

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2020, 13:23 »
Rob,
Excellent idea. I participated in the virtual Sail Caledonia, and it was fun to relive it. 
Personally the only pictures I have from Mylor are the ones of Pippin sent to me by Peter Taylor.
Mark
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Bill Rollo

« Reply #6 on: 01 Jul 2020, 11:37 »
I don't know why I find this photo funny, from Day 1 of the Mylor Raid in 2015.  Five blokes in a semi-circle discussing a misbehaving outboard.  Ethanol in the carburettor must have been involved somewhere.

Graham

As it was my outboard I'm not sure why I was laughing either - probably because we had not even started and the *** thing was already u/s. The problem was mechanical I think to do with the gear lever and fortunately rapidly bodged.

Bill

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #7 on: 01 Jul 2020, 18:37 »
A rare moment of rest for the oarsmen as they go up that winding and windy river in 2018...
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jul 2020, 18:47 »
Trip to the Helford River, 1st July 2015 - tracks there and back.  I remember that there was a lot of rowing on the way back (as evidenced by the SoG) until we inched around Pendennis Head and the wind picked up again.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jul 2020, 12:58 »
This is a panorama shot of some of the fleet approaching on the last day of the 2015 raid.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 02 Jul 2020, 13:06 »
Crossing the line, 2015
Graham