Author Topic: Long carbon fibre raid oars for sale SOLD  (Read 2030 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Long carbon fibre raid oars for sale SOLD
« on: 27 Jun 2020, 20:54 »
I’ve put two pairs of Xcell X5 Elite lightweight carbon fibre raid oars for sale on eBay, 11ft and 12ft long.  They were bought to compete (successfully) in the Sail Caledonia sail & oar raid but I’m now more interested in non-competitive sailing.  Sized to perfection for the BR20, the 11ft oars are for the forward rowing position (one or two rowers side by side) and the 12ft oars for the standard midship position (normally two rowers side by side). When not in use, both pairs fit on the cockpit sole, either side of the centreboard case.

They fit Concept 2 rowing gates, which can be installed in the BR standard oarlock bases with a bit of inside knowledge.  Because of their length and strength, they exert substantial leverage compared to the standard 9ft wooden oars and the BR’s oarlock bases need a bit of reinforcement. See the attached photo to get an idea of the oars’ scale.

If someone from the forum wins the eBay auction for one or both pairs, I’ll throw in the modified Concept 2 gates and some spares as part of the deal.

The 11 footers are here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xcell-X5-Elite-lightweight-carbon-fibre-raid-oars-3-4m-11-15ft-long-pair/293629197282
and the 12 footers are here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xcell-X5-Elite-lightweight-carbon-fibre-raid-oars-3-7m-12-1ft-long-pair/293629191961.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Ged

Re: Long carbon fibre raid oars for sale
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2020, 11:42 »
Hi Graham
Are the 11 footers comfortable to use as sculls rather than sweeps?
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2020, 11:54 »
Ged,

We’ve always used them as sweeps rather than sculls, being concerned that using such big oars with overlaps on the handles, although feasible, risks finger-crushing misery.

One of the reasons why we were so successful in the rowing legs (and windless sailing legs) of Sail Caledonia was that we were prepared to row for hour after hour.  And that was only possible because these oars were so comfortable and effective to use.  During one windless Loch Ness Challenge (which we won), we rowed nearly the whole length of Loch Ness and half way back - about 30nm.
Graham

Ged

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2020, 11:05 »
Thanks Graham
The length is perfect for a S17 but I think the blades and handles are going to be too big, which is a shame.

Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2020, 12:17 »
Ged,

I think the handles could be reduced quite easily but the blades would need replacing, which is where it starts getting expensive.
Graham