Author Topic: 9 year old Mariner 6hp, is a new Tohatsu 6hp better?  (Read 15397 times)

Julian Merson

Re: 9 year old Mariner 6hp, is a new Tohatsu 6hp better?
« Reply #15 on: 03 Jul 2020, 23:42 »

I’ve googled ‘Aspen fuel problems’ and couldn’t find anything much of substance.  The possibility was mentioned that Aspen may dislodge past problems caused by using supermarket unleaded, such as bits from the rubber fuel line assembly and varnish from elsewhere.  I’d be interested to know....

Well, as you say, probably nothing much of substance, but enough previously to sow seeds of doubt, which is why I use fresh fuel each time - and, as my boat comes home with me after every trip, it really isn't much bother at all for me - granted, not so convenient for some.

http://www.drascombe-association.org.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?5118-Definitive-explanation-of-fuel-contamination&p=40859#post40859

Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Sea Simon

Re: 9 year old Mariner 6hp, is a new Tohatsu 6hp better?
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jul 2020, 13:06 »
Mark D,

funnily enough all my relatively modern 2 - stroke (2T) garden machinery (Stihl chainsaw/brush cutter/hedge cutter/leaf blower etc) runs fine on petrol rejected by the Mariner!
They do get slightly spoilt in that I only use Stihl synthetic 2T oil. but I've not resorted to Aspen in the Stihl machines yet.

Honda did do a range of 4T garden machines (not just mowers -they seem to have a good reputation?), but I've no idea if they were any good, or if they suffered from fuel issues. I do know that they were comparatively expensive, and heavy too.
The Honda "suitcase" generators are legendary! They seem to run OK on "ordinary fuel".
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.