Author Topic: Baycruiser 23  (Read 2428 times)

MarkDarley

Baycruiser 23
« on: 26 Jul 2020, 19:47 »
Is there a large difference in the performance of the yawl and sloop version of this boat?
I like to have a mizzen as I single hand, but I also don't like to sacrifice performance.

Can owners of this boat weigh in on their experience please?

Thanks
Mark
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Sea Simon

Re: Baycruiser 23
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2020, 20:10 »
Watching with interest. Sorry, no experience/advice to offer!

I had assumed that the main mast rigs were the same, with the addition of a mizzen?

However, could this be said to be a performance "negative"?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2020, 09:49 »
I'm not sure what the benefits of a mizzen are to a single hander, unless it's a way of reducing sail in bad conditions. I single handed Vagabond (an early BC23) round the UK (admittedly in small steps, without autopilot and in nothing above F6) and never found the rig a problem. I survived the F6 on fully reefed main (which is quite small!) and a rolled up jib. and found her to handle without too much weather helm. However, I did afterwards modify the rig to include the  spreaders that are now available as the "performance pack".
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Sea Simon

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2020, 13:42 »
I know there's been much discussion about the value of mizzens on here already.

Will be interested to learn what the performance perspective may be?

Personally, on a BRe, my mizzen is most effectively Used to stay head to wind when getting the main up, or when at anchor.
Seems to be needed to counter the weathercock effect of the small cabin, otherwise my boat seems to prefer to lie stern to wind.
Also use the mizzen as something of a roll damper when motoring, especially when fishing.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.