Author Topic: Humming/whining noise from the mast  (Read 2086 times)

Julian and Karen

Humming/whining noise from the mast
« on: 11 Aug 2020, 20:15 »
This year our Baycruiser 23 has developed a much louder and more persistent whining noise that changes pitch as the wind/boat swings. Initially we thought this was the halyards so we moved them away from the mast and changed the tension but this made no difference. We then tried a cover for the forestay and a rope up the inside of the main track - no difference. We took the mast down to see if it was the wires for the vhf and the masthead light being too loose, we tightened them - no difference. My current thinking is that it is the windex/antenna which I can see vibrating but is this cause or effect  - has anyone experienced this?

Martijn

Re: Humming/whining noise from the mast
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2020, 20:46 »
Are you sure it's the mast, not the shrouds?
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Julian and Karen

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2020, 22:11 »
We cannot be 100% sure - we also tried connecting the spinnaker halyard to the bow roller and taking the tension off the forestay – this did not stop the humming. From this we thought it was probably not one of the stays – as the forestay has the longest run without contact (the shrouds have the spreaders) and would therefore be most likely to vibrate. Our next attempt to stop it will probably be a change to the aerial (pointing it downwards without the Windex), unless anyone can recommend a different strategy.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2020, 22:24 »
It’s probably not relevant but the main source of humming in the wind on my BR20 is from the topping lift - both sides. Searching on Google shows that it’s the same for many other types of boat.  I haven’t tried it yet but apparently the way to silence it is to release tension on the mainsheet so that the topping lift slackens a bit.  Then the next noise will be the boom banging against the mizzen....

The Windex was also mentioned in passing as a possible source of noise but I couldn’t see a remedy.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Matthew P

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2020, 09:26 »
Might vibration from the Windex, or aerial, be amplified by the mast?  If so, changing the natural frequency of the mast or aerial might fix it - or make it at least hum a different tune.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys 
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2020, 11:18 »
Put some rubber sheet between the Windex and its mounting point on the mast?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III