Author Topic: lightweight RCD whats sensible?  (Read 2078 times)

graham2burton65@gmail.com

lightweight RCD whats sensible?
« on: 25 Aug 2020, 17:47 »

Hi fellow dreamers,

I would like to be able to run a 500 watt fan heater on the odd occasion we end up in a marina.
I might possibly charge the handheld VHF etc but very low wattage required, say max 800W. (in a BC20)
definitely no TV, Kettle, Hob etc as I know these are power hungry and I don't want them anyway.

I can buy a hook up lead , Camping Site Mains Supply Unit - 3 Outlet, that has three outlets and is rated 25amp but it seems overkill for my needs. Bulky and heavy.

so to the key question.
could I make my own hook up lead with the inline RCD in the picture.  Masterplug ILRCDNG Non-Latching In-Line Safety RCD
Active (non latching) in-line safety RCD easily Re-wirable.
Added protection against fatal electric shocks when using electrical equipment outside
Maximum load 3120 watts 240V AC 30 milli-amp trip speed 40 milli-seconds (typical) double pole contact break
Every time The appliance is turned off, the RCD will trip & have to be reset.
Ip 55 rated when in use. Manufactured to BS 7071 1992

So I would have a shore plug, a long light weight lead into the boat, this inline RDC and then a single socket. no consumer unit.
The heater would have a fused plug.

I am in the dark as to why I might need a mini consumer unit with its own fuse etc, except that it protects you from total load if having multiple socket outlets.
Dangerous thoughts, or quite sensible?

thanks
Graham B

graham2burton65@gmail.com

Re: lightweight RCD whats sensible?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2020, 20:38 »

Hello again,
no replies, nobody telling me its dangerous...so I have gone ahead and bought the bits to make an extension lead with inline RCD, one socket, no consumer unit.

I will be careful

cheers

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: lightweight RCD whats sensible?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2020, 07:52 »
Graham,

I've not been on the forum much recently so only just seen this post. We went through the same process on our BC26. I didn't want a 240v installation on board for the few times we want to use 240v. After all, we'll always be plugged in to shore power when using 240v so why have a consumer units and 240v sockets permanently installed on the boat for the few times we need it? So my first rule is we use 12v wherever possible. For the few times we want to use 240v, I made something similar to what you proposed. I bought a standard shore power / camping extension lead. Then made a RCD protected fly lead. That is, something like in the link below but with a metal cased, RCD protected twin socket. This has worked perfectly for the past 3 years and when not in use the socket lives in the extesion lead bag in a cabin locker so it is well out of the way.

Jonathan
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"