Author Topic: 1) Mast rake 2) Sprit booms  (Read 18622 times)

Michael Rogers

1) Mast rake 2) Sprit booms
« on: 27 Apr 2008, 19:53 »
Hi, introducing myself, I've had some problems getting onto the forum, now sorted. I'm a long-time Swallowboats fan, building a Storm Petrel in 2004-05 (or was it a year earlier?): she must be from almost the last of the old design kits? She is, nautically speaking, the love of my life, an absolute stunner (as an Italian gentleman with no English said, when he saw her on Lake Garda last summer - "una bella bella barca!!!").

1) This is probably one for Matt? I have wondered off and on, since I built her, whether I have slightly overdone the rake of the mast. It looks - well, splendidly rakish. Questions - i) how can I check? (I've long lost the template I used, but might be able to do another from the instruction manual). ii) From a design point of view, why rake the mast? iii) What effect would  an over-raked mast have on sailing characteristics?

2) This is possibly of general interest. Encouraged by Nick Newland, I made a curved sprit boom. I wasn't entirely happy with it (mainly, the curve was in the wrong place, appearance-wise), although it worked very well. So I did another, and while I was about it I made a full wishbone. Lots of extra problems, but the end result looks very elegant, and sets the sail beautifully. It hasn't been tested in action yet, but I don't foresee problems. I very much doubt whether it will make any measurable difference to performance, but it's fun. If anyone is interested, I can provide more details, and I hope to be at the Swallowboats/Drascombe rally on 28-29 June.

Paul Cross

Re: 1) Mast rake 2) Sprit booms
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2008, 19:45 »
Hi
I would be very interested in your wishbone sprit design...I've been thinking along similar lines for our Storm 15.

On the mast rake issue....I would have thought that the more rake you have, the more weather helm you will get! but I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you a full response.

Regards

Paul

Craic

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2008, 21:18 »
Paul Cross is right,
the mastrake influences your weather helm. More rake - more helm.

But to be honest, the mastrake alone cannot realistically fully control the weather helm. Even with the mastrake trimmed forward -which looks quite odd-, most boats will still show some weather helm in some gusts.
And quite rightly so, nobody wants a leeward helm, ever.

I suppose there is no general rule, the optimum mast rake must be established through testing.

That is why we are using not the standard rope shrouds on 'Craic' but adjustable bottle screws. In connection with the mast tabernacle they allow the mast rake to be modified quickly, even in mid-race.

But again, there are limits to what the mainmast rake alone can do to the weather helm.

About the curved sprit boom I know too little, except I never missed to have one.
The important thing is to have a mainsail boom, whether or not that is curved is of minor significance.

What would bother me about a curved sprit boom is that one cannot easily to the 'Harbour Furl' of the mainsail.

For a Harbour Furl, the -straight- mainsail boom is taken out of the gooseneck fitting, is tilted upward, and rolled into the mainsail, from clew forward. One cannot do that with a curved boom.

Obviously, I know zilch about the specifics of a Storm Petrel, but I think the above observations would apply there as well.

Michael Rogers

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2008, 11:17 »
Thanks to Paul and Claus for their comments.

Mast rake - I am reassured because weather helm is not a problem. It's most pronounced when sailing without the jib, as one would expect, but never excessive. I could fit a mast step which allowed for adjustment (though not under way), but it probably wouldn't be worth it?

Wishbone sprit boom - for Paul (and anyone else interested), bear with me (yes, I know, I did raise the topic in the first place!). I will try to put together a reasonably succinct account for later posting. Some pictures would help, which is where my IT incompetence gets in the way (my 17 year old son can probably help in that area). There are some interesting design and construction challenges.

Harbour furl - interestingly I didn't get this sorted with the original straight boom (obviously simple, as described by Carl), but I have indeed sorted it out (I hope) with the wishbone. It involves a topping lift (4mm braided is ample) through a small masthead cheek block, both ends kept cleated on the mast until used. One end is hooked to the outer end of the boom (I'll go into hooks when I describe the boom), the inner end of the boom is disarticulated from the gooseneck, and the outer end hauled up to the masthead (lengthwise that works well). The clew outhaul is released, and the sail rolled from leech to luff, the furled sail lying neatly against the mast between the two boom members. That's the theory, I am about to test on the water, and will report back. I had this manoeuvre particularly in mind for getting the mainsail out of the way for more comfortable rowing when the wind dies.

Can I wish everyone a really rewarding sailing season this summer.

Michael

Bill Wickett

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2008, 20:16 »
Michael,

Nice to hear about your curved sprit and also the full wishbone. We sailed an 18' boat with a full wishbone for 3 seasons. It was a cat rigged vessel, so no headsail. The wishbone carried forward of the mast slightly, so that particular design would not work well with a headsail, as the leech of the headsail would hang up on the forward end of the wishbone.

I am trying to attach some pics of that boat so you can see the set up.

Claus: for furling we just dropped the sail into sling lines (a type of lazy jack) between the 2 arms of the wishbone. With a lug rig I guess this would also hold the upper spar.

Craic

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2008, 21:34 »
Hi Bill,
the beauty of the harbour furl is that it gets the mainsail and the gaff yard quickly, neatly and completely out of the cockpit and out of the headroom above it. If rolled in neatly, and secured with an auxiliary haliard slung around it, you can even leave it up over nights and when motoring a bit.

With regards to building a curved spritboom: One ingenious Drascombe Dabber guy built himself a half wishbone boom by glue-laminating together strips of flexible pine timber, using the gunwhale as a gauge and guide. His aim was a removable boom sprit and the gunwhale curve ensured that he could store it inside the gunwhale when it was not in use. These boomsprits are very long and it must be taken into consideration right from the start where and how they can be stored aboard the boat without cluttering deck and cockpit.

Again, I would not want one, I am sailing fine with my straight boom which I can roll into the mainsail or tie to the mast whenever I want it out of the way.

Bill Wickett

« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2008, 01:11 »
Hi Claus,

How are you? Is your raid calendar filled for this year? Will you be going to Venice? I am curious about that one. Have you been to it before?

When we had the Naiad with the wishbone, we would often lift the furled sail up by just hauling the lazy jack slings tight across the wishbone.
The wishbone works very well to adjust the draft of the sail with a choker line that moves the wishbone forward or aft. Gives great sail control. Much like an outhaul on the boom, but working from the forward end. It worked well for that rig. Now we do sail a boat with a straight boom, and loose footed sail as well as a headsail.

I like the Swallow system with the boom up higher and the foot of the sail angled down to the mast. That acts as a self vanging system somewhat. Last year at Golfe was the first time I had sailed with that system. Wish I could have been there for the full week.

I think some people look for a curved or wishbone boom or sprit to give full sail shape. I personally don't think the straight spar affects the performance noticeably.

Regards,

Bill Wickett

Craic

« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2008, 05:44 »
Bill,
agree with all you say.
Yes, Venice is on. Entirely new adventure.
See you in Brest / Douarnenez?

Michael Rogers

« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2008, 23:23 »
A sort of progress report - 1) Mast rake: what I should have done before raising the subject has now belatedly been done. I have made a new rake gauge and very carefully checked, as per the original construction manual. Lo and behold, I got it spot on! So Cadenza's rakishness is legit.      2) Wishbone sprit boom: I have now sailed with this, and it functioned beautifully. I have taken some photos (not sailing shots, which in my experience are professional photographer territory) and will do a brief account of construction soon (I hope).