Author Topic: Lough Derg  (Read 2801 times)

garethrow

Lough Derg
« on: 15 Oct 2020, 17:38 »
Watching 'Saving Lives At Sea' the other night I was intriuged by a piece featuring the RNLI station on Lough Derg, on the Shannon in Ireland - which I am ashamed to admit I had never heard of.  A preliminary look through google - seems to be a promising new cruising area that is not too challenging: https://discoverloughderg.ie/ 
Has anyone been there  / have any idea on what it might be like for a few days camping and sailing? I gather it is  40km long with plenty of islands to hit / miss and one or two different shoreside villages to explore. The presence of an RNLI station suggests a reasonable amount of boating activity must go on. I assume the main potential draw backs may be rain and midges, niether of which I am a fan of!

Gareth Rowlands
Halen Y Mor BR20

Richard Cooper

Re: Lough Derg
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2020, 10:18 »
Hi Gareth
I have sailed on Lough Derg a couple of times, albeit around 20 years ago, there used to be a company hiring out Hunter 23 yachts. At that time there was quite a bit of sailing as well as motor boats coming up/down River Shannon. We had some really good sailing and I imagine it would be perfect for BR's . It can get breezy but being landlocked it's not tidal. On the first trip I spent 5 days sailing there and didn't get bored.

You could probably launch at Dromineer, which is  on the east side. The West is more rural and scenic. There are quite a number of small "ports", a few with  marinas, but quite a few which are just small quays. (Garrykennedy and Mountshannon are very nice.) There are shops/pubs in quite a few of the villages and quieter spots if you want. Being Ireland, it  can get damp, but I don't actually remember any midges

From experience it's quite easily accessible from Dublin ferry port, 125 miles 2-3 hours drive, it's a bit further to Rosslare and roads are not as quick. (Cork is actually closest, but I have not driven that route. )

On my second trip, went on 3rd weekend of August and found it very pleasantly quiet as Irish school holidays are earlier than England/Wales. Would definitely recommend.

Richard Cooper
Storm 17 Little Grebe.

garethrow

Re: Lough Derg
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2020, 17:04 »
Thanks Richard, that has definitely given me something positive to think about over the winter. It is a bit difficult to know if the bigger rallies will happen next year - British Raid, Seafair Haven, Swallow Yachts etc, so thinking about a smaller 'adventure' might help my sanity!

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
BR20 Halen Y Mor