Author Topic: Fishfinder cum GPS combo recommendation and installation  (Read 14998 times)

Craic

I have replaced an older fishfinder with a new GPS/ fishfinder combo unit, an Eagle Cuda 250i map.
I had the predecessor Cuda 240 in my previous Drascombes, but the new thing is a lot better still. Most noticeable: A basic worldwide map is included, the font sizes of the displayed data can be set to 'Enormous' to be readable from metres away without glasses, and the speed is now dispayed with two decimals. Loads of other features as well. And the price is lower today than it was, due to the weak US$.
Power consumption only 180 mA.
The display unit with the integrated antenna is mounted to bulkhead below the tabernacle. Using a trick one can tilt the screen to face 10-15 degrees upward. (Not possible on the Humminbird Matrix units).
The transducer is inside the centreboard groove. I made a rectangular cutout there and covered that from below with a thin copper lid.
Very good signal quality for depths over 0.6 metres (below that it`s double echos.)
Best unit I ever had so far.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Fishfinder cum GPS combo recommendation and installation
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2011, 20:56 »
I can recommend the Garmin GPSMAP 556S. It comes with a comprehensive UK base map (but not including smaller lakes like Bala, which is why the upper screen is blank) and the fishfinder part in the lower screen is very good.  So good, that my son thinks that it is cheating!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Andy Dingle

« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2011, 18:43 »
I would agree with Graham, I have the Garmin 555s which I have mounted forward of the centreboard case, as I reckon it's far safer and out of the way than aft of the centreboard case. I can still clearly see the screen, both the sounder and the chart.
I got the detailed map chip for the Garmin to supplement the basic coastal outline off ebay for about £50, this also fits into my Garmin handheld and in the fixed unit on my cruiser.
I'm very pleased with this setup.

Regards

Andy Dingle

BR20 'Psalter'

Craic

« Reply #3 on: 07 Mar 2011, 20:46 »
No doubt there are more expensive and more power consuming GPS cum fishfinder units on the market than the € 250.00 Eagle Cuda 350i S/Map with GPS.