Author Topic: Sitting on a BR20  (Read 2769 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Sitting on a BR20
« on: 04 Dec 2020, 17:10 »
On boats with lids, such as the BRe and the BC23, I imagine that it must be very comfortable at anchor, sitting with your back against the outside of the cabin and with your legs stretched along the bench, facing away from the wind.  And into the sun if you’re lucky.

It’s not so easy on a BR20, as the aft face of the foredeck has a curve on it that slopes away towards the centreline of the boat, as in the photo below.  You can sit diagonally across the boat with reasonable back support, feet up on the centreboard case.  However, sitting with legs along the bench is less comfortable as there is virtually no back support.  Have any BR20 owners come up with a clever and inexpensive remedy for this?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Matthew P

Re: Sitting on a BR20
« Reply #1 on: 07 Dec 2020, 15:55 »
Rest easy on a BR20
Matthew
Gladys BR20

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 07 Dec 2020, 18:44 »
Still deep in thought....
Graham

Matthew P

« Reply #3 on: 07 Dec 2020, 20:51 »
Touche
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Sea Simon

Re: Sitting on a BR20... it's better on a BRe?
« Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2020, 19:35 »
Meanwhile on a BRe,  it's so comfortable that (as unfortunately captured in a photo by my wife) I am able to drink two beers.... simultaneously!

Note - use of back rest as per GW original post.
sun too.....so sunny it appears that two pairs of sunglasses are necessary?

It was a lovely afternoon....

Now waiting for a post of a Coast 250 owner with champagne and cigars....in their jacuzzii.....At 20 knots...?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 08 Dec 2020, 23:10 »
That’s exactly what I want to be able to do on my BR20!
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2020, 11:04 »
It's very easy...what you need to do, is first drink about 6 of those small French beers, then.....

Oh, you mean sitting?

Perhaps Matt will sell you a backrest/cuddy?  ;)

Being sensible.
 the BRe has s similar issue to the BR, but at the aft end. The cockpit being long enough to seat 4 of "modest stature" (I'm barely 5'9") you can sit 4, foot to foot.
So I'm awaiting solution proposals with interest....
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2020, 13:06 »
I think that I’ve found the answer to uncomfortable lounging misery on the BR20 - clever but certainly not cheap. 

I had thought originally that a hospital-type bed backrest at around £20 would do the job (first photo).  However, it has lots of metal bits sticking out and even folded, would either not fit in a locker or would take up an enormous amount of space.  Also, you have to find a way of stopping it from sliding away backwards when you’re leaning against it.

So the more expensive solution (if you already have a Thermarest self-inflating mattress or similar) is a Trekker chair kit for around £40.  That’s for the 25” wide version and it’s less for the 20” version.  It comprises the orange bits with straps in the second photo.  It’s quite a faff to get it all adjusted correctly but once done, everything except the doubled over lower part of the mattress can be left in place for when you want to sleep on it.  It’s very comfortable, as is the mattress for sleeping.  However, the 25” version may be too wide to sit facing forwards on the aft part of the BR cockpit bench.  And of course you have to have a suitable mattress in the first place.
Graham

Ape Ears

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2020, 12:08 »
Hi Graham,

I am sorry I can not manage to post a link but you could look at : 'outdoor chair seat cushion folding w/back support. Camping Portable'  with or without cushions for more ideas. Also try 'beach chairs' for something that may fit the bill.

I will carry on using a stack of Force4 flat fenders. CraiC was never built for comfort !

Andrew
Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'
BayRaider Expedition No123 'Apus' (Swift)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2020, 13:19 »
Thanks Andrew,

I’ve looked at those sort of chairs, as in this link https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Folding-Outdoor-Sit-Mat/dp/B002WUJC5U/ref=sr_1_1.  I don’t know if reviewers are exaggerating but they complain of two common faults that put me off:
1.  In no time, the fibreglass stiffeners burst through the material at the top of the pockets containing them
2.  The straps snap or come away from the seams

As I already had a Thermarest mattress, I went for the Trekker chair kit despite the extra cost because it is robustly put together and should last a long time.

Agreed on Craic’s comfort levels but you go so fast in it that you barely notice!
Graham