Author Topic: Falmouth Classics 11-13 June 2021 (weekend following Swallow Mylor Raid)  (Read 3099 times)

Sea Simon

For info:

".....an unprecedented occurrence in the long history of the Classics but we look forward to a healthy 2021, when the Classics will take place from 11 – 13 June. We hope all those who have supported the (postponed) 2020 event will be prepared to do so next year."

See https://www.falmouthclassics.org.uk/event-cancellation-due-to-covid-19/

As I've posted before, I'm fairly sure that my BRe would not be welcome as a "Classic" competitor, but we may well attend to spectate? It will probably depend on the weather in our case.
Some Swallows may be?

"We welcome all boats up to 70ft LOD that are classic sailing craft, dinghies or rowing boats of traditional construction, built before 1970, or after 1970 but built in the classic spirit to a pre-1970 design or/and with a traditional rig..."
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

MarkDarley

Sea Simon,

"Pippin" is entered for Falmouth Classic this year.

It may have helped that I am an open boat (Bayraider 20 wood) with gunter rig and tan sails,  or possibly because I previously owned a Memory 19 which I raced at the Classic, and that I am a member of OGA.
I am also going on to Helford to join the OGA rally there which I have done in previous years. 

We will certainly be a bit of a crab in a lobster pot, and in previous OGA events there has been some grumbling about my ability to shed my ballast in light air.  My response was that they could include displacement in the OGA handicap calculation to which one old gaffer was heard to reply "Do you really think we want to know what we actually displace!". 

I have been banned from flying my spinnaker at the Dittisham OGA racing....however in the Gaffer division of the RDYC racing I am allowed to fly one as are all gaffers. 

Brixham also invited me to take part in the Heritage Regatta but I will be in Cornwall racing in the Pilot Cutter Review on Agnes or Pellew.  It will be well worth coming out to watch if you are between Fowey and Falmouth from 26th to 31st of May.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Sea Simon

Thanks for the info MD.
I will try to get out to see those boats passing 26-31 May, any info/updates much appreciated!

I saw a BR was in Falmouth classics 3-4 years ago? Can't now determine which one, as historical results are by boat name only, at which point I lost interest.... So I'm sure you will be aok!

We may well yet spectate from the BRe, but I'm currently hatching plans to sail on a proper old gaffer (1860 Itchen ferry class). Have sailed her in the past, and it's quite an experience!

Both boats need to get down to Falmouth from Fowey, which would have been problematic so far this year; have never known a May like it.
The longer (for me!) Trips so far this year, Looe, Polperro, and Mevagissey; have all involved an unexpected long beat home due to unsettled weather/ v poor forecasts.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Sea Simon

Not really sure where to post this, but as MD mentioned handicaps & water ballast...

Talking classes/handicaps...we now race locally under the new SW Yacht Time Correction system, which for reasons unknown to me seems to have replaced the Byron scheme.
https://www.swytc.org.uk/index.asp

They became extremely excited about the possibility of me "operating my ballast system" during races, particularity so to drop ballast out, and plane with my asymmetric in moderate winds.
So - they originally handicapped me at an extremely noncompetitive number (1 point slower than a rather sporty "Django 7.70" - see https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/reviews/yacht-reviews/django-7-70)

BRe was - potentially - faster than a GK24, and an 30ft Albin Ballad too. Hardly worth paying my entry fees? especially in anything more than moderate sea/wind?

We have had a constructive chat, and I've explained that in order to race here with cruisers, I really need my RCD cat C (organisers have in the past fretted about "only Cat C") and I'm pretty sure I need ballast in (need to be self-righting, as no safety boat cover).

BRe now at 1097, 1120 white sail; it seems this puts me within spitting distance of a Hawk 20.
Fair? Reasonable?

https://www.swytc.org.uk/PortList.asp?sp=Fowey&io=2&yr=2021

I still won't be asking to join the gaffers/classic tho :-)
...From Oct 22.