Author Topic: Shannon Cruise  (Read 3809 times)

Matthew P

Shannon Cruise
« on: 02 Feb 2021, 16:46 »
I've read with interest posts in the BC20/23 & Inland waterways topic  about Irish Raids,especially on the Shannon.

https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=17&URL=https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php?topic=2131.14#msg14270

Wouldn't it be great if someone with local knowledge in Ireland could co-ordinate an informal Swallow Boats cruise down the Shannon in 2022?  No need for massive organisation, just local knowledge including places to camp (preferably some near pubs) and maybe book putting-in and pulling out places with dates.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

MarkDarley

Re: Shannon Cruise
« Reply #1 on: 03 Mar 2021, 02:51 »
Matthew,

I started researching the Irish Raid course about a month ago.  I have started a conversation with Nic Compton (who wrote about it) and he said he would see what he could do to dig out details.

I would love to do it.  We have a need to exit the UK for some of the summer (tax reasons) and Ireland would work nicely if we don't have to quarantine!

Other plans to Brittany and NW Spain look doubtful as of now...

Let me know if you make progress, and I will do likewise.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

MarkDarley

« Reply #2 on: 03 Mar 2021, 02:54 »
I have this to offer so far:

Hi Mark

Thank you for your email.

This was a straight forward north to south route, starting on Lough Erne with a day’s sailing around the lough and then heading south over 6 days then they finished at Lough Derg yacht club with a day’s racing with the fleet there.  By all accounts it was a great event but I don’t have any more details.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Nuala Maguire
Waterways Ireland
2 Sligo Road
Enniskillen
BT74 7JY

Tel no: +44 (0)28 6634 6232
Email: nuala.maguire@waterwaysireland.org

Mark Darley,
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

MarkDarley

We have made a decision for a week on the Shannon based at a house on Lough Derg in early September.

And we are also thinking of another week or so somewhere on the coast of Ireland.  Anyone have any specific suggestions as to some lovely sheltered coastal waters, west, east or south coast?
Mark Darley,

Llafurio

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2021, 19:03 »
Baltimore, Glandore, Kilmackilloge, Sneem, Derrynane. Or Schull.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Llafurio

Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

MarkDarley

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2021, 11:04 »
Llafurio,
We have chosen a week in Baltimore followed by a week on Lough Derg in Williamstown both in September.
Thanks for the advice.  I suspect my wife might have chosen Parknasilla had she spotted it earlier!
Mark
Mark Darley,