Author Topic: Back on the water Monday 29-March-2021 ???  (Read 2109 times)

Paul Beardsell

Back on the water Monday 29-March-2021 ???
« on: 25 Feb 2021, 13:56 »
RYA: "We’ve welcomed the confirmation that outdoor sport and recreation will be the first activity after education to be released from lockdown in England." It sounds to me as though we're back on the water Monday 29-March-2021. https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/current-affairs/Pages/coronavirus-covid-19.aspx

Julian Merson

Re: Back on the water Monday 29-March-2021 ???
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2021, 07:57 »
Can anyone confirm whether or not sailing clubs/Marinas and the like will be open from 29th March?  Round here, I'm rather dependent on these for launching so, if they're closed, that's something of a spanner in the works!

Also, assuming success at being afloat, scouring the government/RYA pages I can't work out whether sleeping aboard (in a nice remote anchorage)(usually freezing, at this time of the year) is technically permissible.
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2021, 08:49 »
Julian,

My club (MYC) say “Yes, but you must comply with rules of 6 or 2 households outside only. Clubhouse still closed”.

I think staying on board is allowed from 12th April, being classed the same as self catering accommodation (one household only).
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2021, 09:00 »
Inland sailing clubs Draycote water opening end of March and Rutland Water Watersports centre opening 2nd of April “Happy Days”.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Sea Simon

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2021, 14:12 »
Here on the S coast of Cornwall, some individuals  have been "boating" throughout this "lockdown", mostly kayakers and SUPs. A few dinghies.
There has been no closure of the harbour/river unlike previous lockdowns. There has been no enforcement of people travelling to launch either. TBH, many true locals resent that.
Smaller dayboats (like mine) have started to appear this week.
Supposedly all "locals", although several "locals" (people unknown to us) appear also to have new boats this year?
29th March seems to be the key date here?

So, not beating, but joining....I have attempted to preempt the 29 March great unlocking, and the lemming-like rush to launch here on the nowadays extremely congested slipway in my village (it's free to use - but not for much longer!).
This morning I attempted to launch for my season... but the tide made less water than predicted; it was always going to be very marginal!
Boat still on trailer, tides now cutting. Hoping to be afloat by Friday as the tides start making again on Wednesday.
At least I'm at the front of the Q for the slip!

No news at all from my dinghy racing club (launches over a busy beach, via a public slipway).
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Julian Merson

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2021, 19:25 »
Thanks everyone.  On the one hand, reassuring but I hope particularly that sleeping aboard will be permitted over Easter - in a suitably remote anchorage, of course.  I missed freezing aboard in last Easter's lockdown.

I'm always rather envious of those who have regular access to a good public slipway.  I've used some excellent ones down in the south west - a really good one at Mount Batten/Plymouth.  But, there's nothing suitable for motorised launching with parking over on the east coast, and we're rather beholden to marinas which often charge a pretty penny for the privilege. 

But, needs must.  Launching and sailing is the priority!  Fingers crossed we can get afloat.
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Sea Simon

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2021, 09:15 »
Sleeping aboard.

Local reality here is that some liveaboards (water-gypsy/traveller types) appear to have continued with their "normal" habits throughout this current lockdown. Not aware of any enforcement, despite living aboard supposedly not being permitted, even during "normal" times. It's a condition of their mooring licence; it is of mine!
I can see one liveaboard as I type this!
Relevant authorities again unwilling/unable to act, it seems?

Conventional folk seem to be working towards the April 12th date, as equivalency with self catering holiday accommodation.
Trades I have working for me are very much driven by this date and the frantic rush to get camping and caravan sites ready for the coming bonanza.

So - Hereabouts, overnighting before April 12 (eg Easter) seems to be a matter of personal choice/conscience?

Dinghy racing/club sailing.
Have just, am 23/3, heard the club will be restarting racing, 12 April - iaw RYA interpretation of the covid roadmap and associated well established precautions.

Hope the above might help?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Julian Merson

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2021, 18:55 »
Doubtless, I shall be a good boy and do as I'm told.  It's just a damned nuisance that, as a teacher, our part of the world is having its Easter break early, and I'll be back to the old grind by 12 April.    >:(
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'