Author Topic: Doing a Durrels and moving to Corfu  (Read 1941 times)

Paul Samoilys

Doing a Durrels and moving to Corfu
« on: 01 Apr 2021, 19:36 »
Combination of events really but bottom line packing up in the UK and heading to Corfu.

Immediate concerns are being nabbed by the French rozzers for anything they can get me on.  CLH Trailer built in 2011 for my BR20 (ex-Ristie).  Does anyone have any vital tips in this post Brexit lunacy of European trailer conformity?
I will have a new vin plate, properly stamped, ugraded light board and reflectors on mudguards.  Does the mast for example, by sticking over the edge of the transom by a few inches mean I need a socking great Fiamma reflector?

Departure date end July.

Many thanks
Paul

PS Graham W's comprehensive trailer guide is my Bible already - so anything in addition.

charliea

Re: Doing a Durrels and moving to Corfu
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr 2021, 08:58 »
No direct experience of this but I did a bit of research before going down to Morbihan.

I think you can be asked to produce insurance docs and demonstrate that you're covered to tow.

https://frenchinsuranceinfrance.com/towing-a-caravan-or-trailer-in-france/

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2021, 11:01 »
Paul,

Lucky you!  The library article was written aeons ago and some things may have changed but below some other suggestions.

An Emovis tag will speed you through the French autoroute toll gates, particularly handy for avoiding very long payment queues in July.  If you’re going through the St Gotthard Tunnel, which is the most direct route, two recommendations: don’t run out of petrol as we nearly did in the middle of the tunnel (with few petrol stations on the way up, fill up well in advance with cheap Swiss fuel); and the Hotel Forni in Airolo at the southern end of the tunnel is a great place to stay as a half way point.  Comfortable beds, extremely good food and wine, not too expensive by Swiss standards and you can park outside.  Granted, there’s a railway marshalling yard across the road but it has real Swiss trains on it, which adds to the interest!

Don’t be tempted by the cheapest ferries from Brindisi.  Some hull underwriters won’t touch them with a bargepole.  We went overnight from Ancona - very civilised.  If you catch the right ferry, it stops at Corfu rather than bypassing it on its way to Igoumenitsa.  Just don’t park under the aft edge of the bridge deck - uncouth smokers flick their smouldering fag ends on to the vehicles below.

Καλό ταξίδ!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Paul Samoilys

« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2021, 20:27 »
Many thanks for your suggestions.  Have noted them all;  planning routes made more challenging by taking dogs as well.  Have booked the Ancona ferry Graham, with a civilized tea time arrival in Corfu though post customs I think we'll need a large Ouzo.