Author Topic: Setting up the heads on a Bay Cruiser 20. New location. A bit of boat surgery..  (Read 3189 times)

graham2burton65@gmail.com

Hello good Swallow aficionados,

A small group of us have bought a BC 20, so I realise that my target audience may be small!
However, hopefully the following notes may be of some general interest.

Having recently downsized from a bigger boat the BC20 offers me everything I wanted ....except I was not happy with the toilet arrangements.  I will be sailing with my wife and both of us appreciate a usable set up.

Peter Taylor was very helpful in talking me through the current options, which are:
-under the companionway and pull out when using, very tight and needs mods
-beside the mast post and galley in full view on the port side
-slid under the starboard quarter berth and pulled out when needed....and lifted on to the floor.
-In the cockpit...
-in the cockpit locker?
-or Peters solution which is to sacrifice the forward starboard berth for a permanent location.

several of the solutions involve using the space on the sole boards in the cabin, this space is very tight and not suitable for us.  Nor would we be happy lifting it out using it then lifting it back in to storage.

So what did I do?
out came the cardboard and scissors...and after some head scratching I decided to sacrifice a little space on the main settee on the starboard side.  On the BC 20 this is not a full quarter berth.

There is an access hatch to the bilges, I opened this up a little front and back.  I created a plywood/epoxy box that just fits in the space.  I added a nice ply/mahogany opening lid and it all works really nicely.  Effectively the porta-potti is sunk into the space with only about half above the mattress base level. Very hygenic in that the box is watertight and can be removed to clean.  Nothing should go in the bilges.

I call it our navigation table and it does work well as a side table.  It is surprisingly unobtrusive and easy to get pass.  There is still room to easily sit beside it.  If needed I can sit on top...just...

For me at 5ft 7" there is full sitting headroom whilst using it.  It does not feel cramped and the C'board box is a very convenient strong point for pulling to stand up, at which point your heads up in the companionway.

I am struggling to post more than one picture, please contact me if you would like more info and pictures

Very happy.
Kind regards
Graham B

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

head scratching..
head banging

Do you scratch your bottom in the bath? Why not have it re-glazed by the professionals....

head scratching..
head banging

Do you scratch your bottom in the bath? Why not have it re-glazed by the professionals....
The complete box before dropping it in

Opening the lid on the issue...

The required cut-out and reinforcement

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
After all that effort, you need a good sit down.

Here’s a photo of a flat pack BR20 version.
Graham

Hi  Graham W.  Nicely thought out solution for an open boat.

Practically speaking, I can see it is a buck it and chuck it variety.  Do you ever bag it and take it back to base?
There are times when I would have needed to...

I know this is what they do on Grand Canyon trips in the US
take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints...

I going to head off now
G

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Graham

Julian Merson

As it's the time for showing off heads arrangements, here's the 'solution' I inherited on BC20 No8.  The original owner kept the boat in France, and this lavac sea loo has no holding tank and just flushes straight into the sea - presumably what they do over there.  So, no better really than 'bucket and chucket'...  I've never used it and will remove it at some point, albeit that doing so leaves holes in the hull, so will need some careful planning, and I haven’t got round to that yet.  In the mean time, I just use a bucket and well-timed trips ashore...

Interestingly, the same solution in terms of location as Graham's.  I like his solution and think I might well do something similar in due course.  So, thanks for sharing!
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Sea Simon

Plenty must be still pumping straight to sea hereabouts....
One pump out station in the port,and I've never seen a queue yet!

Can't imagine many craft can run "approved"  treatment units? I know only too well how much work/time/expense that involves.

In fairness, our whole village was only connected to mains treatment about 5-6 years ago?
Previously went straight into the river.
Now still goes in the river, but after "treatment", and released into an ebb tide.

The difference in river water quality is VERY obvious.

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.